Sign in with
Your question

AMD Phenom II X4 965 [High Temps]

Last response: in CPUs
April 5, 2011 7:09:33 PM

Had my rig for a year now and I always knew my CPU was on the hot side but I looked the other day while I was gaming and it reached as high as 74C during loading on Bad Company 2, ~70C During gamepay, and about 50-55C Idle.

I have an Arctic cooling freezer 7 pro and some 91% isopropyl also a thing of arctic silver I was going to redo the paste and reseat but im way too lazy and kinda unsure on how to do it.

And while Im at it ill clean out the case is it ok to use compressed air?
a b à CPUs
April 5, 2011 7:52:55 PM

sounds like a plan. Do you have your CPU overclocked? What case are you using? That feezer 7 pro may be a bit weak to be overclocking a 965 BE, but to be fair it's better than the stock cooler and was designed when AMD CPUs ran a bit cooler ^_^
m
l
April 5, 2011 8:46:58 PM

megamanx00 said:
sounds like a plan. Do you have your CPU overclocked? What case are you using? That feezer 7 pro may be a bit weak to be overclocking a 965 BE, but to be fair it's better than the stock cooler and was designed when AMD CPUs ran a bit cooler ^_^

No overclocking, and its the C3 revision that uses less power too. 125w compared to 140w I believe.

Specs
v

Lian-Li PC-K62 Dragonlord
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition 3.4GHz C3 Stepping
MSI 790FX-GD70
XFX Radeon HD 5870 1GB GDDR5
8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600MHz
Corsair TX750
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB
Sony Optaric DVD-Burner
Acer H233H 23" 1920x1080
Razer Lycosa
Logitech G9
m
l
Related resources
April 6, 2011 8:00:03 AM

Reapply thermal paste or reseat your heat sink.If temps are high consider buying an aftermarket cooler.
m
l
April 6, 2011 8:15:05 AM

Mudit Sathe said:
Reapply thermal paste or reseat your heat sink.If temps are high consider buying an aftermarket cooler.

Damn I am disappointed with this site. I've had numerous unanswered threads, and never get an answer I need.

I know I need to reapply the thermal paste and heat sink. I DON'T REALLY KNOW HOW

And I HAVE AN AFTERMARKET COOLER IT WAS 40 BUCKS: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev. 2 and I'm not buying another one
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 6, 2011 3:04:50 PM

solidsteel said:
Damn I am disappointed with this site. I've had numerous unanswered threads, and never get an answer I need.

I know I need to reapply the thermal paste and heat sink. I DON'T REALLY KNOW HOW

And I HAVE AN AFTERMARKET COOLER IT WAS 40 BUCKS: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev. 2 and I'm not buying another one

m
l
April 6, 2011 6:52:04 PM

The cooler unlocks with a lever, just pull it and then unseat it by wiggling it out. Clean off the thermal paste with some tissue paper, I don't believe alcohol is necessary (not 100% on that, but i've never used it). Reapply thermal paste and make sure the cooler is centered on the cpu. Make sure the fan is blowing air OUT of the back of the case and you should be good to go. I have an Arctic Cooling cooler on my 965 black. I run it at a modest 3.8ghz but my temps rarely go above 55.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 8, 2011 2:24:19 PM

I simply think that some 965's just run hot... probably should have been sold as 945 if you ask me...

I have the same chip on an M3A78-EM motherboard and the same CPU fan.

I re-seated the cpu a few times, cleaned and reapplied a few times...

my temps are 38 on idle with cool and quiet.. so cpu runs at 800mhz
Goes up to 60 to 65 all the time when I run any games...

I also get bsod's when I push it past 3.5Ghz... Somehow I wish I would have saved like 20-30$ and gotten the Phenom 955... probably would have been superior.

The fan isn't bad as it was able to keep my old slightly overclocked 9950be under 50 at all times and that cpu has the reputation of running hot.

If you ask me, it's just a matter of being unlucky.

However, 70 degrees is too hot. buy new grease, watch the youtube videos and reapply... you should idle around 39 degrees and run at about 59 to 65 at the highest...

Make sure your case has excellent air circulation... if it's something like a sonata3 case, make sure the front air filter is cleaned... if air doesn't go in and out properly, everything runs very hot... also summer is on the way !
m
l
a c 114 à CPUs
April 8, 2011 2:51:22 PM

Without knowing 'voltage' it is difficult to relate 'high temps'.

If by 'compressed air' you mean 'canned air' --- YES, it is okay.

The issue with simple compressed air --- when it is 'compressed' it accumulates moisture, and that is not good for your components. It is generally considered better to use a soft brush on a vacuum attachment (but this has its own issues with 'static charge' of which you need to be aware).

I use 'compressed air' but I have a fancy in-line dryer to remove moisture. Canned air is really, really pricey to use often in cleaning components.
m
l
!