Status
Not open for further replies.

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Is the front cover screen on a Compaq x1010US glass or plastic? Is it
difficult and expensive to replace? Where can I purchase one?
Thanks,
Frank

Frank wrote:
> Is the front cover screen on a Compaq x1010US glass or plastic? Is it
> difficult and expensive to replace? Where can I purchase one?
> Thanks,
> Frank

Did you crack it?

I don't have a lot of experience repairing laptops, but in many cases
the LCD and the top lid are difficult to separate (sometimes it's
cheaper to buy the entire assembly). In many cases is possible though to
replace the LCD itself, the backlight, etc.

But if I understood your question, you want to replace only the top
layer of the LCD, which is impossible.

Cosmin

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Cosmin N. wrote:
> Frank wrote:
>
>> Is the front cover screen on a Compaq x1010US glass or plastic? Is it
>> difficult and expensive to replace? Where can I purchase one?
>> Thanks,
>> Frank
>

> Did you crack it?
>
> I don't have a lot of experience repairing laptops, but in many cases
> the LCD and the top lid are difficult to separate (sometimes it's
> cheaper to buy the entire assembly). In many cases is possible though to
> replace the LCD itself, the backlight, etc.
>
> But if I understood your question, you want to replace only the top
> layer of the LCD, which is impossible.
>
> Cosmin
No I scratched it. It's the part you touch when you put your finger on
the screen.
Feels like plastic.
Frank

Frank wrote:
> Cosmin N. wrote:
>
>> Frank wrote:
>>
>>> Is the front cover screen on a Compaq x1010US glass or plastic? Is it
>>> difficult and expensive to replace? Where can I purchase one?
>>> Thanks,
>>> Frank
>>

>> Did you crack it?
>>
>> I don't have a lot of experience repairing laptops, but in many cases
>> the LCD and the top lid are difficult to separate (sometimes it's
>> cheaper to buy the entire assembly). In many cases is possible though
>> to replace the LCD itself, the backlight, etc.
>>
>> But if I understood your question, you want to replace only the top
>> layer of the LCD, which is impossible.
>>
>> Cosmin
>
> No I scratched it. It's the part you touch when you put your finger on
> the screen.
> Feels like plastic.
> Frank

I'm sure others will correct me if I'm wrong, but without replacing the
actual LCD, I think you're stuck. That top layer is plastic.

Cosmin

They are plastic, and they are not end user replaceable (replacement
requires a "clean room"). There are a few LCD and laptop repair depots
that can do it. The cost can be surprisingly expensive (it may not be
just "clear plastic", some of the optical BEF films used on LCD
assemblies are VERY expensive plus, like I said, you need a clean room
or laminar flow bench if you are going to disassemble an LCD optical stack).

[BEF = Brightness Enhancement Film]