Does the Asus DG have its own audio processor?

frenchbread

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
I am looking into getting a sound card to help take some of the load off my CPU, and improved sound quality would be nice too. I only have a regular PCI slot left, so there isn't a ton to chose from. I have 5.1 Creative speakers, and am currently using the onboard sound from Sigmatel (off an Intel motherboard from a Dell 5100).

I had narrowed it down to the ASUS XONAR_DG 5.1 Channels PCI Interface Xonar DG Sound Card. It seems to be decent for $30, and the head phone amp sounds pretty nice.
I had looked at the Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface Sound Card, however someone in the reviews said that the Creative card doesn't have its own processor, so it relies on your CPU which pretty much defeats the purpose of me buying a sound card.

My question: Does the Asus Xonar DG 5.1 card have its own audio processor and hardware, or will it just use my CPU to process the sound?

Thanks

frenchbread

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
Thanks for the reply. I think it does have an audio processor, and they also said, "But if you're a headphone user, and want something that is better than your onboard sound, will save you a few CPU cycles and definitely wont break the bank, you can do a lot worse than the Xonar DG." So it sounds like it will take some load off my processor.

I use a Xonar DG
Xonar audio processors are re-labeled Cmedia chipsets
The DS and DX both use relabled Cmedia chipsets also
(i read ALOT of reviews about the DG)
So the DG audio processor is a very slightly downgraded DX processors
All the reviewers said that for the money and especially if you use headphones
that at this price the DG is great
I personally own one and am very happy with it.
Do realize that there is many higher priced bettter cards but if you need 5.1 analog output, good headphone sound and a reasonable price that the DG is the number one choice

Tacoboy

Distinguished
May 13, 2006
The Asus Xonar DG audio processor (CMI8768) is an older chip then the one used on all the other Xonar cards, which is the CMI 8788, Asus has relabeled those chips AVS 100 and AVS 200. I believe the CMI8788 was designed to take full advantage the sound of Blu-ray disks, I'm guessing the CMI 8768 was not (but it's still good sound).
My guess is the CMI 8768 is in low demand and C-Media gave Asus a good deal on the chips.
I'm guessing C-Media and Asus would like to take market share from Creative Labs.

^+1 very good answer

What it comes down to is for the money it is a good card if you want an improvement over
onboard for cheap
but for audiophiles there are much better cards

In audio tests in reviews it compared favorably to the Xonar DX model with very minor differences

I think you're asking if the audio processor is hardware based.
The answer is no for either of the cards you've listed.
Most hardware based soundcards are $100+.
I would buy an Asus DG over an Audigy SE though.
The Audigy SE is really outdated.
Hardware based CL cards.Buyer beware Creative drivers suck.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100009293%2050001137&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&CompareItemList=57%7C29%2D102%2D019%5E29%2D102%2D019%2DS01%2C29%2D102%2D024%5E29%2D102%2D024%2DS01

take a look at this review
http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/pc-components/sound-cards/asus-xonar-dg-717199/review
also read this excerpt:
"CMI8768 series is the first high performance PCI integrated sound single-chip in the world which provide 8 channel output with upto 96K / 16 bit. Beside basic I/O supports, CMI8768+ supports Dolby Digital Live 5.1 (AC-3) real-time interactive content encoder. Dolby Digital Live encodes all digital audio sources on PC such as 3D game audio, VCD, MP3, WMA, Internet radio into 5.1CH Dolby Digital stream transmitted via consumer standard S/PDIF link to external decoder/receiver and even Home Theater system. With Dolby Digital Live encoder feature, users can easily connect PC audio to consumer sound system by S/PDIF interface. It realizes Digital Home Entertainment PC in the living room."