New asus board, no video

octavio_no

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
Hello, i recently purchased an ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe and 2 ASUS GTX 560 DCII cards, and am unable to get video on boot up. I have tried putting one of the cards in all three slots, tried 2 in the correct slots for bridging, and have tried with and without the SLI bridge installed.

If anyone has had similar problems, any help would be appreciated!

Wamphryi

Distinguished
I have had a similar problem. It is tied in somehow with the on board graphics I think.

Try this. I'm not sure it will work but give it a go.

1)Remove the discrete GPU's.
2) De power the board by turning off at wall and hitting the power button to drain the motherboard of power.
3) Put the monitor on the on board GPU

Boot up. Make sure the PC boots etc. Then turn it off and put in the first GPU. Go from there.

Another possibility ( I never did find out why mine played up) Is to de power the board and try a discrete GPU straight away.

Good luck.

Wamphryi

Distinguished
Ok I just checked into this matter further. There is a an integrated GPU you just dont have a port on it for that board. Just try de powering the board.

http://wccftech.com/review/asus-p8z68-pro-asus-p8z68-deluxe-review/

OK, lets try to problem shoot logically.
Remove everything connected to the Mobo, just leave the OS HDD/SSD and 1 GPU Plugged in the PCIe 2.0 x16 Slot 1 (Navy Blue).
Make sure the Mobo, GPU PCIe and HDD Power Plugs are plugged onto the PSU.
Make sure the DVI cable is connected to 1 single monitor from the DVI port on the 560Ti.
Clear CMOS. The button on the IO Back Panel.
Make sure the TPU and EPU switches on the Mobo are both switched OFF.
Then try a startup.
Make sure to check the QCode displayed on the Mobo if it comes to one particular number and stops.

No. Lucid as from day one which was long before any mobo maker laid hands on them, has been coming out with boards that integrated AMD and Nvidia cards together in one system. The main function of their Chips is to allow Mix and Match with results for people who were stuck with both brands of the card and wanted to make maximum use of them.
Lucid never actually worked with the IGP.
IGP stuff came out only after Hybrid SLI and CF took place.
Lucid themselves never had a Display Chip. They just made the Bridge between the two biggest names in the GPU industry with a very small chip but it has taken them a long long time to get this accepted by the Mobo makers.

"This must mean that at some level the board has an integrated graphics chip"
The SB Processor itself has a GPU on-die.

Classic "new system won't boot" problem.

Work systematically through our standard checklist and troubleshooting thread:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-posting-boot-problems
I mean work through, not just read over it. We spent a lot of time on this. It should find most of the problems.

If no luck, continue.

The following is an expansion of my troubleshooting tips in the breadboarding link in the "Cannot boot" thread.

I have tested the following beep patterns on Gigabyte, eVGA, and ECS motherboards. Other BIOS' may be different, but they all use a single short beep for a successful POST.

Breadboard - that will help isolate any kind of case problem you might have.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/262730-31-breadboarding

Breadboard with just motherboard, CPU & HSF, case speaker, and PSU.

Make sure you plug the CPU power cable in. The system will not boot without it.

I always breadboard a new build. It takes only a few minutes, and you know you are putting good parts in the case once you are finished.

You can turn on the PC by momentarily shorting the two pins that the case power switch goes to. You should hear a series of long, single beeps indicating memory problems. Silence indicates a problem with (in most likely order) the PSU, motherboard, or CPU. Remember, at this time, you do not have a graphics card installed so the load on your PSU will be reduced.

If no beeps:
Running fans and drives and motherboard LED's do not necessarily indicate a good PSU. In the absence of a single short beep, they also do not indicate that the system is booting.

At this point, you can sort of check the PSU. Try to borrow a known good PSU of around 550 - 600 watts. That will power just about any system with a single GPU. If you cannot do that, use a DMM to measure the voltages. Measure between the colored wires and either chassis ground or the black wires. Yellow wires should be 12 volts. Red wires: +5 volts, orange wires: +3.3 volts, blue wire : -12 volts, violet wire (standby power supply): 5 volts always on. The green wire should also have 5 volts on it. It should go to 0 volts when you press the case power button, then back to 5 volts when you release the case power switch. Tolerances are +/- 5% except for the -12 volts which is +/- 10%.

The gray wire is really important. It should go from 0 to +5 volts when you turn the PSU on with the case switch. CPU needs this signal to boot.

You can turn on the PSU by completely disconnecting the PSU and using a paperclip or jumper wire to short the green wire to one of the neighboring black wires.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FWXgQSokF4&feature=youtube_gdata

A way that might be easier is to use the main power plug. Working from the back of the plug where the wires come out, use a bare paperclip to short between the green wire and one of the neighboring black wires. That will do the same thing with an installed PSU. It is also an easy way to bypass a questionable case power switch.

This checks the PSU under no load conditions, so it is not completely reliable. But if it can not pass this, it is dead. Then repeat the checks with the PSU plugged into the computer to put a load on the PSU.

If the system beeps:
If it looks like the PSU is good, install a memory stick. Boot. Beep pattern should change to one long and several short beeps indicating a missing graphics card.

Silence, long single beeps, or series of short beeps indicate a problem with the memory. If you get short beeps verify that the memory is in the appropriate motherboard slots.

Insert the video card and connect any necessary PCIe power connectors. Boot. At this point, the system should POST successfully (a single short beep). Notice that you do not need keyboard, mouse, monitor, or drives to successfully POST.
At this point, if the system doesn't work, it's either the video card or an inadequate PSU. Or rarely - the motherboard's PCIe interface.

Now start connecting the rest of the devices starting with the monitor, then keyboard and mouse, then the rest of the devices, testing after each step. It's possible that you can pass the POST with a defective video card. The POST routines can only check the video interface. It cannot check the internal parts of the video card.

octavio_no

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
Classic "new system won't boot" problem? I have done my homework before coming here, thankyou very much.

You would be correct in saying that the board does have an onboard graphics controller, wether you want to call it an onboard GPU or not, it has no video port, so without an additional card there is no way to get to the BIOS.

I had a friend of mine with a network engineering degree talk me thru most of the installation, including making sure the mobo is mounted properly (just the right amount of screws), installing the CPU and heatsync, and the Ram, making sure that the sticks were installed correctly in the alternating chanelled slots.

I however did not check the PSU, although power does not seem to be an issue.

I went thru the trouble of removing all the ram and both video cards last night to see what other error codes I got.
I'm not sure if the mobo is missing a case speaker, as I don't hear the audible beep I have heard on so many other machines. However it does have an inboard diagnostics display, in the form of a two-digit LED display that shows error/status codes as it boots.

Upon startup with nothing installed, it runs thru 4 codes for CPU checks and then lands on a "invalid/bad memory / memory error" code. After reinstalling the ram, it runs thru all the display codes until it gets to an error code for missing video output.

After reinstalling the card/cards in any configuration in any of the slots, it runs thru and throws a "legacy boot event" error code. According to ASUS's forums and several others, this problem can be solved by editing the default boot order in the BIOS.

However, without video, I can't fix that problem. One issue at a time I guess.

Also, I have tried both cards in all three PCI-E slots, ensuring they click into place each time, and have tried both of the DVI ports on each, however I have not tried the HDMI ports, as I do not have a cord/adapter available where I am right now.
I think it would be unlikely that I received 2 brand new cards that were both DOA.

Yes, that 2LED display on the Mobo is called the QCode.
You did your homework ok, but, the forums may have sent you elsewhere, that's the reason I asked for the QCode you see on that display. I do not want to know what it stands for from you.
Since there is no qcode listed in the manual for , as you say, missing video output.
I'm sure that you got the AE code after you changed the card slots and cards. That was because you did not reset the BIOS after the change and booted straight.
I still have to insist on asking you Have you reset the BIOS to it's default?
A simple test for the cards would be to plug it in someone elses rig and see if they work fine, if that were possible.
It's more likely that you may have ended up with a faulty mobo than 2 faulty GPUs.

octavio_no

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
My apologies for the guff, I have been hacking my way thru this thing for three days now, and have made no progress.

I have tried exactly what you mentioned in your first post.
After clearing CMOS, the q code that is thrown is now either A0 or A2. So now there is an IDE problem (the board doesn't have IDE??) and no "Legacy Boot Event" problem. However still no video.
The "BOOT_DEVICE_LED" comes on and stays on now.

Am I missing a preloaded BIOS? i had someone mention to me that i may need to have a BIOS loaded onto a connected SSD/HDD in order for the computer to boot properly.

At this point I am flying in the dark, I have exhausted all of my limited knowledge of computer hardware, and will probably be calling ASUS tomorrow evening after work.

On a side note, I don't have another system at my disposal, so no way to check the 2 GPUs to see if they are ok. I also was wrong to say that I had a video error code, it was in fact the error LED for VGA.

Also, is resetting the BIOS not the same as Clear CMOS?

It could mean a faulty HDD. Do you have the windows OS installation disc? If you do, I'd suggest giving it a try by booting from it in the ODD.
Check to see if the display comes on.

No, I don't think you're missing a preloaded BIOS. No, you do not need to have a BIOS loaded onto a connected SSD/HDD in order for the rig to boot properly.

Yes, resetting the BIOS is the same as Clear CMOS.
And IDE doesn't necessarily mean the PATA connection. Even SATA connectors or discs work as IDE drives/mode

octavio_no

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
I've tried booting with the windows disk in the optical drive, and I've tried unplugging each of the HDDs and the SSD individually to see if they are causing the problems. Still no luck. I'll be calling ASUS in the next few days to talk to them, as I'm starting to think it's a Mobo problem.

Ok, what is the PSU you're using?
This maybe the last time we try anything till you call the Asus people, so, I'd suggest one last go,
Disconnect/Remove all extra stuff, no USB's no other HDD's just one, preferable new or the one that can be formatted for the OS.
Just one GPU.
And just One stick of RAM.
Connect all of this onto the Mobo.
Reset CMOS.
Boot into BIOS.
See if it happens.

Another note: Connect the HDD and the ODD to the SATAII Headers and not the SATAIII (6Gbps) ones.