Sign in with
Your question
Solved

XPS 8300 Problems

Last response: in Memory
December 11, 2011 3:36:30 AM

Hello, I just recently bought a XPS 8300 from dell on black friday and I have had it for a week now and i was looking at forums about how many 8300's have freezing issues. My computer has frozen once so far when I was playing a game. I was looking at forums and I saw it may be because of Nanya RAM, which all of my 8gb is made by them. Do I need to ask for replacement RAM or is it a simpler fix like the graphics card is loose?

System Specs:
Core i7-2600
8.00 GB RAM 4x2gb all from Nanya Tech.
1TB RAID 0 hard drives
AMD/ATI Radeon HD 6450(will be getting a 6770 or 6870 soon)
Dell Motherboard # 0Y2MRG

I just want to know if I need to replace the nanya ram or if it is a loose graphics card, but I have looked inside the system everything seems fine.

More about : xps 8300 problems

a b } Memory
December 11, 2011 12:58:20 PM

It won't be as simple as re-positioning a loose video card. If you ask Dell to give you RAM that actually works right they probably won't and if you replace it yourself your warranty is almost certainly void.

I'll also tell you that building your computer yourself would be much cheaper than buying a dell. I did a test once to see how much cheaper with a $2k budget and the one I designed had about triple the graphics capability, an overclockable CPU, a PCIe SSD (That's pretty much as fast as storage gets), much faster RAM, and more improvements. skipping out on the PCIe SSD would make the one I designed about $1.4k, so you would get about triple the gaming performance for much less.
m
l
December 11, 2011 2:48:35 PM

Building a computer isn't an option for me at the time plus the fact that I have never built one before, this is the first computer I have purchased. I also got the computer plus a $180 monitor and speakers for only $850, with tax in my state. Also you never really answered if the Nanya ram is the problem. If I have to get ram myself it won't void the warranty as I can change it so it doesn't send updates to dell.. I am also on a low budget which was another reason I could not build my own computer. If I had built this computer on my own with near same specs except for video card ,which I would've certainly gotten a better one, it would easily have been more expensive than buying it. Mainly because of the fact that it would've been my first time so I would also have to buy extra stuff to even be able to build it. Plus having no experience could be bad too.
m
l
Related resources
December 11, 2011 2:50:38 PM

blazorthon said:
It won't be as simple as re-positioning a loose video card. If you ask Dell to give you RAM that actually works right they probably won't and if you replace it yourself your warranty is almost certainly void.

I'll also tell you that building your computer yourself would be much cheaper than buying a dell. I did a test once to see how much cheaper with a $2k budget and the one I designed had about triple the graphics capability, an overclockable CPU, a PCIe SSD (That's pretty much as fast as storage gets), much faster RAM, and more improvements. skipping out on the PCIe SSD would make the one I designed about $1.4k, so you would get about triple the gaming performance for much less.

Building a computer isn't an option for me at the time plus the fact that I have never built one before, this is the first computer I have purchased. I also got the computer plus a $180 monitor and speakers for only $850, with tax in my state. Also you never really answered if the Nanya ram is the problem. If I have to get ram myself it won't void the warranty as I can change it so it doesn't send updates to dell.. I am also on a low budget which was another reason I could not build my own computer. If I had built this computer on my own with near same specs except for video card ,which I would've certainly gotten a better one, it would easily have been more expensive than buying it. Mainly because of the fact that it would've been my first time so I would also have to buy extra stuff to even be able to build it. Plus having no experience could be bad too.
m
l
a b } Memory
December 11, 2011 4:50:54 PM

There is no way of knowing if the RAM is the problem for sure without testing. Building a computer is ALWAYS cheaper than buying one so your budget isn't the problem. The only tools you need to build one is a philips screw driver and a flashlight. Also, building a computer is extremely easy, even for someone doing it the first time.

I built my first computer when I was 14. I had nearly no experience and I didn't have help from sites like tomshardware.com, I'm sure you can do it. I'll do a quick design with an $850 budget, just give me an hour or so.

To answer your question, the RAM may be the problem. Prebuilt computers are known for having generic RAM (among other problems) and all computers with generic RAM tend to have a lot more RAM-related problems than computers with decent, brand-name RAM. I once made the mistake of buying generic RAM and I'll say it never happened again. It ran and problems didn't happen every day but they were persistent.

If you change the RAM with decent RAM then the problems are likely to go away. You also might be interested in the fact that for gaming, the i5-2500 and i7-2600 give identical performance because games don't see any benefit from hyper-threading so I hope you use this computer for more than gaming because otherwise you wasted quite a bit of money.
m
l

Best solution

a b } Memory
December 11, 2011 4:56:10 PM

I won't consider overclocking because I don't recommend it if you don't know much about it. For replacing the RAM in your current machine, consider this kit:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It is the cheapest kit of it's capacity without sacrificing quality or performance. G.Skill is a reputable company that I happen to like and 1600MHz is the only speed above 1333MHz (the standard speed) worth buying because it is the same price as 1333MHz. RAM speeds don't effect performance in many applications much and gaming, believe it or not, actually sees absolutely no performance gain from faster RAM. "Gaming" RAM is a marketing gimmick to get gamers to spend more money without providing a better gaming experience. The only application I know to take significant advantage of faster RAM is compression and I was told that rendering also does but I can't confirm that myself.
December 11, 2011 5:13:13 PM

Download a program called memtest86, run this to see if the ram is a problem. I would guess the ram is fine. It could be an out of date driver. Don't worry about the nay sayers you got a good deal for your money. You would be hard pressed to build a system with those specs + monitor any cheaper. The only advantage you get building your own is hand selection of the components.
m
l
a b } Memory
December 11, 2011 5:35:47 PM

This nay sayer has actually checked if prebuilts give worse price/performance himself before saying whether it does or doesn't. I do admit that as for the overpricing of prebuilts, yours isn't very bad. The difference would only be getting a 6570 or 6670 instead of the 6450. However, the a 6570 is much faster than the 6450 and the 6670 even more so. Exchange the i7-2600 for an i5-2500 (gaming won't see any difference between the two and neither will most other applications unless you are an extreme multi-tasker with CPU intensive apps) and you can get a 6870 if still paying the same $180 for the monitor, and that is many times faster than the 6450 as you obviously noticed since you said you plan on choosing between it and the 6770. The 6870 is considered the start of the high-end in graphics cards on AMD's side, I think the GTX 560 TI or GTX 560 have comparable performance on Nvidia's side, I don't remember which.
m
l
December 11, 2011 5:49:17 PM

blazorthon said:
This nay sayer has actually checked if prebuilts give worse price/performance himself before saying whether it does or doesn't.

I just recently upgraded my system and CPU(i72600K), Motherboard(Asus P8Z68) and 8 Gb RAM alone cost me $600. You are comparing the system you checked out on a 2k budget :pt1cable:  This is not even close to his budget. Subtract the 180 the monitor is worth and you are left with $670 for a complete i7 2600 system I would like to see you build that complete system cheaper. And why all the talk about exchanging his cpu he is not going to do that it's pretty obvious. He already said he would probably upgrade the GPU at a later date so again more useless information. Why not just try to address his questions instead of going off on a tangent about building your own systems.
m
l
a b } Memory
December 11, 2011 6:05:29 PM

I am NOT comparing his system to a 2k budget. I compared a 2k budget prebuilt to a 1.4k system I designed and the same 1.4k build was upped to 2k if the PCIe SSD was included. I'll check which prebuilt model it was real quick and give you the stats of each machine, I saved parts of the one I designed in a text file. I also did not say he should exchange his CPU, just what the difference would have been had he chosen the i5 instead. I now recognize that my wording was poor and could be misread by someone that way and apologize for that but I thought my point was obvious.

I also know he said he would replace the GPU because I said "you can get a 6870 if still paying the same $180 for the monitor, and that is many times faster than the 6450 as you obviously noticed since you said you plan on choosing between it and the 6770." MY point was that he could have gotten the better cards cheaper than what he is paying now. I also answered his question and gave a recommendation for a RAM kit to replace his own.

The only thing you got completely right is that matter37 should try using memtest86.

Go fail at proving someone wrong somewhere else please.
m
l
December 11, 2011 6:26:02 PM

I have other reasons why I cannot build a computer as well but I will not try and explain them. And I have the i7-2600 not for gaming but more for to last as long as possible so I will not have to upgrade, I am not a very big PC gamer yet. I will use memtest86 and say how it goes later. thanks for the help
m
l
a b } Memory
December 11, 2011 6:33:28 PM

matter37, generic RAM tends to be less stable than name-brand RAM. There are always exceptions on both sides but as a general rule this is true. I have had computers with generic RAM and one of them never had stability problems, but every other machine I worked with that had generic RAM did have such problems that caused more blue screens and other errors.

Generic RAM is even less likely to work right in a self-built computer (I fought with some RAM modules for several days before they started working, and it still isn't stable). I never had a problem with name-brand RAM, which isn't much more expensive than generic RAM right now.

Either way RAM is exceptionally cheap, unlike CPUs, video cards, motherboards, and even hard drives/solid state drives. The only common internal component I can see being much cheaper would be a dvd drive.

The G.Skill kit I showed you is 8GB 1600MHz and only $29.99, I don't think there is a cheaper kit of it's quality. I don't recommend less than 6GB for gaming and only tri-channel capable boards should have 6GB. Since almost all common motherboards are dual channel the capacity I suggest for gaming is 8GB. 4GB is too little and 16GB is unnecessary for most (I have 16GB but I'm not a gamer).

For more than gaming purposes 16GB may be useful and faster RAM may be useful (but anything more than 1600MHz is too expensive, not much of a performance gain.
m
l
December 11, 2011 6:33:31 PM

Do I have to burn the .iso to a disk to use the program?
m
l
December 11, 2011 6:36:45 PM

I understand it is less stable there is a high chance I will buy new RAM if any more problems occur. I know it is cheap and I am no longer going to be talking about building my own computer anymore, you do not understand my situation, I CANNOT build a computer, it just isnt an option for me.
m
l
December 11, 2011 6:38:47 PM

In the future I will buy more ram as my computer can support 32gb but I do know that I dont need more than 8gb for some time.
m
l
December 11, 2011 6:44:05 PM

matter37 said:
Do I have to burn the .iso to a disk to use the program?

Yes burn this to a disk and boot the system using memtest this will give a definite answer on if the RAM is causing the problem.

As far as the other response goes I'm still waiting for you to build me a complete system using an i72600 for less then $670. Untill then you have not proven anything.
m
l
a b } Memory
December 11, 2011 6:46:00 PM

For future proofing the i7-2600 makes somewhat more sense. You probably won't see much difference in anything that isn't CPU intensive and highly threaded to take advantage of more than four threads but more highly threaded software should come out over the next few years. Not knowing your reasons for being unable to build a computer yourself, I can't help solve any problems caused by them but I won't pry.

Good luck.
m
l
a b } Memory
December 11, 2011 6:49:35 PM

Naxos said:
Yes burn this to a disk and boot the system using memtest this will give a definite answer on if the RAM is causing the problem.

As far as the other response goes I'm still waiting for you to build me a complete system using an i72600 for less then $670. Untill then you have not proven anything.

I apologize for taking so long, I will be done soon. My only problem is the heavily increased prices of hard drives. If not for that then I would be done.
m
l
December 11, 2011 7:09:21 PM

Usually when my family bought dells it was cheaper by about $200 because of the dell EPP(Employee something plan) which gave us like a 20-40% discount on certain computers. I had a hard time building one for cheaper than what i could get with the discount.
m
l
a b } Memory
December 11, 2011 7:18:20 PM

With a discount like that it can be difficult, but it depends on the model. My last check on the pricing comparison was more than enough to make such a discount not enough to matter because of the huge difference.
m
l
December 11, 2011 7:22:36 PM

mightymaxio said:
Usually when my family bought dells it was cheaper by about $200 because of the dell EPP(Employee something plan) which gave us like a 20-40% discount on certain computers. I had a hard time building one for cheaper than what i could get with the discount.

I agree its hard to beat dell on a tight budget. They have pretty good deals for the $$. Now if we start talking about high end systems, there is no doubt you can do better building yourself, but that is not for everyone as we see here.
m
l
a b } Memory
December 11, 2011 7:28:37 PM

If not for the huge hard drive price hikes then I would be able to beat what matter37 paid, but if that discount were included then there would be no way to beat it. due to my difficulty I would need to choose a monitor that is cheaper. I don't doubt I can do this easily but without any knowledge of matter37's monitor I have no way of knowing what quality I need to look for.
m
l
a b } Memory
December 11, 2011 7:30:28 PM

The worst offenders in Dells overpricing were the video cards and RAM in my last comparison. I forgot to state that my last comparison was last month, I realize I should have said this earlier.
m
l
December 11, 2011 7:33:14 PM

My monitor is 21.5" and full HD 1920x1080, Also it is LED. And there overpricing with videocards and ram is why I didnt configure anything extra with mine.
m
l
a b } Memory
December 11, 2011 7:36:22 PM

Thanks, that I can work with.
m
l
a b } Memory
December 11, 2011 7:49:43 PM

I'm almost done. I am at $659.90 and am only lacking the hard drives. Yes, that includes the monitor.
m
l
a b } Memory
December 11, 2011 8:01:02 PM

Considering the difficulty I'm having with finding comparable hard drive storage with your computer, I have to ask if you bought this machine before the HDD price hikes.
m
l
a b } Memory
December 11, 2011 9:16:08 PM

I'm done, Here it is:

CPU Intel Core i7-2600 $279.99
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B004EBUXSU/ref=o...

Storage *2 HITACHI Deskstar 7K1000.D HDS721075DLE630 (0F13179) 750GB $(99.99+6.29 shipping)*2

Memory G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL $29.99

Case SENTEY Classic 1399 Mid Tower $44.$99+$9.99 shipping

Peripherals mouse, keyboard, and speakers included with case $0.00

PSU 250w included with case, A-Power AK 680W ATX $26.44
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=AK680&cat=PWR
There is also a 250w PSU included with the case. This build would run off of the 680w easily enough but both PSUs would be used.

Video Card SAPPHIRE 100323L Radeon HD 6570 1GB DDR3 $49.99 rebate

Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS - OEM $18.99

motherboard MSI H67A-G43 (B3) ATX $87.99

monitor SAMSUNG B2230N 1080p 21.5" DC 70000:1 LCD $89.99

Total comes out at $850.92

All things considered, not a horrible build. I don't use much storage space so I would prefer to get a few smaller hard drives and RAID 0 them for speed and would prefer a CPU and motherboard that allow overclocking. Would need more powerful graphics for mid to high quality gaming but could do very low quality and resolutions. I had to go to amazon to get the CPU cheaper than newegg and go to geeks.com to get a cheap enough Power supply I liked, but I designed a machine as good as or better than the above mentioned XPS 8300 within that tiny budget and I'm proud to have wasted my time in this way.
m
l
a b } Memory
December 11, 2011 9:50:08 PM

Admittedly, were I trying to build this computer I would do much more research on each individual part and would not buy parts I already have such as monitors, memory, hard drives, optical drives, power supplies, and cases but for a whole computer this would be decent for non-graphics heavy work or would need a graphics upgrade, increasing the budget by about $100 to allow for a radeon 6870.
m
l
December 11, 2011 9:57:39 PM

cool what about parts like the network card and what-not and they were high when i bought it
m
l
a b } Memory
December 11, 2011 10:06:10 PM

I'll need you to be more specific. Why does it need a network card if the motherboard has integrated networking? The only thing I could think of that might be used (and is missing) is a sound card, and I personally never used one and don't plan on using one. Integrated sound is at least decent so it didn't seem to be a priority.

Integrated Ethernet networking on all modern motherboards I have seen is capable of gigabit Ethernet and integrated sound is good.
m
l
a b } Memory
December 11, 2011 10:13:41 PM

Considering that gigabit is the fastest Ethernet speed that doesn't cost hundreds of dollars I didn't think to go for a network card.
m
l
December 12, 2011 12:01:16 AM

i cannot connect my computer with an ethernet cable, that is why I have to connect to my wifi
m
l
a b } Memory
December 12, 2011 12:04:30 AM

Then a $20 or less wifi card would be optimal. Either a USB or PCIe solution would work, I prefer USB unless you have a 450MB or 600MB wifi network.
m
l
December 12, 2011 12:12:08 AM

I still cannot build my own computer because of my situation but thanks. I will run the memtest tomorrow after I get a disc
m
l
a b } Memory
December 12, 2011 12:15:33 AM

Glad to help, your welcome.
m
l
December 12, 2011 2:02:06 AM

Well i'm impressed you managed to come up with a system that cheap. You skimped pretty bad on the case and power supply and your still missing a key component that the Dell comes with An OS, Windows Home premium puts you $100 over budget. Like I said before Dell is hard to beat when it comes to budget systems.
m
l
a b } Memory
December 12, 2011 2:23:07 AM

Windows server is free to use if you are smart like me. There is a 250w power supply that comes with the case so with the additional one I chose an upgrade to a radeon 6870 is not only possible, but easily within the total wattage.

You can use an evaluation windows server 2008r2 x64 standard edition OS for up to a year and a half or two years, I don't remember which. You just need to reinstall at the end of the period and you now have free windows without the bloat of windows 7. I have been running this OS on my computers and it runs fast, and legally free windows is great :) 

I realize I should have mentioned this but I forgot, I was a little tired after today's work.
m
l
a b } Memory
December 12, 2011 2:33:55 AM

You might also be interested in the fact that all 32bit windows server editions are free to use for college students. I happen to know a few students and could get these free copies, but I'm willing to put up with occasionally reinstalling windows for free 64 bit 2008r2.

I don't use Aero myself but it can be installed in the server OS along with windows media player and a few other things that windows 7 has in just a few minutes by installing the Desktop Experience feature. I use 2008r2 x64 on several of my computers and couldn't be happier. I didn't install Desktop Experience and thus have the odd merger of the classic interface and win7/vista interface that server 2008r2 and 2008 have.

I installed it on my older Gateway laptop and my recent AM3 system and it was instantly made obvious to be faster and use less RAM then windows 7. It doesn't use as little as XP but it is more responsive than XP on my laptop, which only has a dual core Turion 64 at 2GHz and 2GB of DDR2. Windows 7 usually had around 600-700MB of RAM being used when nothing was running on my laptop and now I idle around 400MB.

The only problem was when I first installed it the wireless didn't work even though the driver was installed. A quick google later and I found out that a wireless service needs to be installed and then it worked perfectly.

As for the case, it seems adequate. I never had a flashy case and didn't get one larger than a mid tower until a friend gave me his old one, which isn't any flashier, just larger and with more fans. It doesn't seem to run any cooler but since I keep one panel removed at all times that's to be expected.
m
l
December 12, 2011 2:37:31 AM

Or you could just admit that the dell system is decent for the price and move on. No one in their right mind wants to use server 2008 on a home system, that's just dumb.
m
l
a b } Memory
December 12, 2011 2:46:09 AM

Please explain me how it is dumb to use a faster operating system that has less bloat than windows 7 and is free to use. I thought I admitted that the Dell was decent for it's price already and simply argued that I could do better, and I have.

I use server 2008r2 x64 standard edition on several machines and prefer it over windows 7, especially on my RAM limited laptop that originally had vista on it. It now uses less than half the memory it used to, is considerably faster, and I didn't need to pay a penny to get these benefits. All I had to do was enable wireless networking in the features and install my programs.
m
l
a b } Memory
December 12, 2011 2:55:27 AM

I'll also inform you that windows 7 home edition can't support more than 16GB of RAM and matter37 stated that he planned on upgrading to 32GB some day, making that something of a problem. To use more than 16GB of RAM with windows 7 you need either professional, ultimate, or enterprise 64 bit editions.

This isn't a technology problem but Microsoft deciding to tell windows 7 home premium to ignore more than 16GB of RAM.
m
l
December 12, 2011 3:06:05 AM

It's free to use for evaluation purposes, you already admitted you just use it so you don't have to pay for windows a clear breech of the EULA. Not to mention the compatiblilty issues that come up with software when using Server. Sure you can get most programs to run, but not without jumping through hoops. I think we have hijacked this thread quite enough time to move on.
m
l
a b } Memory
December 12, 2011 3:15:50 AM

I've never had compatibility problems with software. I don't think it is a breach of the EULA. I have neglected to read the entire EULA and now that you have brought this up i will read it sometime. If there is anything else to say then I agree with you, we have used this thread enough. We could carry on in PM.
m
l
December 12, 2011 3:18:05 AM

Ohh and I just looked you are clearly not using it leagally anymore after you uninstall it and reinstall it just to get past the evaluation period. From the Microsoft site..." Once activated, the evaluation will run for 180 days. After this time, you will need to uninstall the evaluation software and reinstall a fully-licensed version of Windows Server 2008 R2." If you like using server 2008 so much buy it and use it legally. It's only $729 for an OEM version of Standard Server 2008 R2. You even get a free 500gb hard drive if you act now, well worth the little bit of ram savings and systems resources that are so precious.

m
l
a b } Memory
December 12, 2011 3:29:51 AM

Please give me a link to this information and please do so through PM if you are truly adamant on not abusing this thread further.
m
l
December 12, 2011 11:35:35 AM

I don't plan on getting 32gb of ram until at least 2 years for now until 8gb sticks go down in price. And does it really matter which is cheaper? Your argument seems quite pointless to me.
m
l
a b } Memory
December 12, 2011 11:39:39 AM

I recognize that you don't plan on getting 32GB until it's priced fairly but if you get home premium x64 you would need to reinstall a different operating system when you get 32GB of RAM. Reinstalling is not difficult but it can be annoying, especially if you had to pay for both home premium and professional or ultimate.
m
l
a b } Memory
December 12, 2011 11:48:19 AM

Yes, it matters which is cheaper when they cost so much.
m
l
!