Volts Not Matching

BleakCoffee

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
Hello, all. Ever since I installed a 6850 in place of my 4850, I've had issues with stuttering in games. I checked out my temps which seemed fine (~50C for everything) but did notice that my CPU was often under 100% load. In addition, and the real reason I'm posting here, I noticed this:

7N0CE.jpg

Am I right in thinking that the 12V value should be 12V and not 4.31?

Do those voltages look plausible?(Hint: the answer is no)

If you get readings from software that doesnt seem plausible would you continue using that piece of software for that piece of information(Hint: the answer should be no)

Voltages that far from their nominal values wouldnt result in errors, simply because the computer wouldnt even be able to spin a fan with a 12V rail that low so you can discard all of the voltage readings its giving you. Check in BIOS it should be a lot closer to the nominal values, BIOS is usually fairly accurate and a DMM is very accurate, software sorta wings it most of the time because it guesses which voltage monitoring chip the board has.

BleakCoffee

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
So you guys think the software is messed up but don't think my PSU is? If so, do you know why I've gotten so much stuttering since installing a better graphics card? It even happens when I lower all settings drastically.

There is nothing "wrong" with the software - it is just impossible to code a monitoring program when there are no standards or common practices in place. For most of my boards, HWMonitor reports correctly. For some it does not, however if the BIOS doesn't report correctly, then the MB manufacturer really messed up.