Last response: in Motherboards
December 11, 2011 4:38:14 AM

I just put together a system with
Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 with Intel I7-2600K
Seagate 3TB HDD ST33000651AS
OCZ Vertex 3 sata 3 60GB SSD Drive
16 GIG memory kingston which is running into cpu fan
Windows 7 ultimate 64bit

Please help me figure out if I can use intel rapid storage technology using 3TB HDD and SDD on Gigabyte motherboard I have.

First of all this motherboard wouldn't let me use 2.7 TB of space in one partition as a boot disk, or recognize GPT, because it doesn't recognize disks over MBR limit of 2TB. So I finally split it into what looks like in software two drive, 2TB, and 746GB.

Now I'm unable to use my 60GB SSD as a cache drive to take advantage of Intel Rapid Storage technology.
When I try to install the software, it says I dont' have proper setup, meaning its looking for raid or ACHI setup.

If I got to motherboard, and change from IDE to RAID, once I totally erased all my partitions trying to setup raid.
But even after doing so, it doesn't boot, I get a BSOD. Then I usually switch back to optimized setup , and it will boot into windows.

If I try to use couple of utilities built into Gigabyte motherboard such as Extreme XHD, or run them as raid, they don't work as it says my hard drive is over 2TB.

So I spent all this money to get top of the line system, SSD, but none of it seems to want to work.
My impression is this is a cheap motherboard, and may be many companies yet don't support things over 2TB.
I'm not sure if swaping a new motherboard will help, hopefully one with UEFI, so it recognizes 3tb hard disk, but not sure if I can still use it as one partition and as a boot drive even with UEFI board.

Any help will be appreciated, as I have only few days before newegg won't take their motherboard back. Thanks
a c 435 V Motherboard
December 11, 2011 2:25:52 PM

No. The motherboard isn't the problem. That model of gigabyte has alot of the latest features for your hardrives. I would load windows separately on the ssd and set it up as the boot device. Then connect the hardrive while windows is running to make the 3 tb drive a secondary drive. If both versions of windows are the same, it should run fine. If you loaded windows in ide mode and want to change to achi mode without losing your files, then this will explain how: http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?....
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 11, 2011 2:29:16 PM

+1, reinstall Windows on the SDD, in AHCI mode, and use the 3tb drive for all your programs and data. This is makes for a very responsive and quick system all around.
m
l
Related resources
a c 207 V Motherboard
December 11, 2011 2:36:49 PM

http://www.ukgamingcomputers.co.uk/difference-between-h...

Quote:
Finally, another feature of a Z68 chipset is known as SSD caching which is where it allows the use of a small (say 10 or 20 GB) Solid state hard drive to act as a cache for a larger ‘traditional’ hard disk. If you are already planning the use of a Solid State drive this feature is redundant.

m
l
December 11, 2011 2:48:03 PM

o1die said:
No. The motherboard isn't the problem. That model of gigabyte has alot of the latest features for your hardrives. I would load windows separately on the ssd and set it up as the boot device. Then connect the hardrive while windows is running to make the 3 tb drive a secondary drive. If both versions of windows are the same, it should run fine. If you loaded windows in ide mode and want to change to achi mode without losing your files, then this will explain how: http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?....

I thought about doing what you said but there are a number of posts suggesting against making SSD drive the actual boot drive, although I'm more and more convinced that may be the way to go. I don't understand difference between IDE and ACHI, are you suggesting, I make the change to ACHI in order to implement the solution you provided in w7 first and then go to bios and change it to achi.

Also another question, I have my system backup on acronis true image. Will you suggest totally reinstalling everything or can I just restore the back off external drive on to the SSD drive and hopefully it will boot up?
m
l
a c 435 V Motherboard
December 11, 2011 2:51:55 PM

You can clone your files to the ssd if the current file size is less than 56 gb (the actual space available on your 60 gb ssd). Maxblast 5.0 will do this with seagate and maxtor drives. But a basic windows install and security file update will take less than one hour, and give you the maximum speed you paid for. Be sure your bios is in achi (not native ide) mode before you start.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 11, 2011 3:56:39 PM

I suggest not cloning, but doing a fresh install. The reason is because there are many parameters that Win 7 will set specifically for an SSD to provide best performance and longevity of the drive. If you clone, all of these parameters are set for a standard disk drive, which will not be optimal for the SSD.

I don't where or why you are reading against using an SSD for the boot drive, most people will tell you that is the optimal way to run one.
m
l
December 11, 2011 8:32:36 PM

o1die said:
You can clone your files to the ssd if the current file size is less than 56 gb (the actual space available on your 60 gb ssd). Maxblast 5.0 will do this with seagate and maxtor drives. But a basic windows install and security file update will take less than one hour, and give you the maximum speed you paid for. Be sure your bios is in achi (not native ide) mode before you start.

If I go to bios and change it to ACHI, windows doesn't let me boot up? Any way to get around. Same is the case with RAID. Only thing that works is IDE. Any suggestion?
m
l
a c 435 V Motherboard
December 11, 2011 9:32:02 PM

Read the link I gave you about changing the windows registry so windows ide installs will work in achi mode. You need to go into the windows registry and change one setting before you change to achi in the bios. The link explains it all.
m
l
December 12, 2011 12:48:38 PM

o1die said:
Read the link I gave you about changing the windows registry so windows ide installs will work in achi mode. You need to go into the windows registry and change one setting before you change to achi in the bios. The link explains it all.

I did change the registery and changed the bios to achi, but windows kept crashing and giving me Blue screeen. Then I connected the SSD and seagte HHD as slave to the following connecter which are present on the motherboard and now windows doesn't crash, although it has glitches, like I installed all drivers off my Gigabyte CD, but it only picked up half of them, I had to manually reinstall, sound, Lan drivers, etc.

GSATA3_6/7 (SATA 6Gb/s Connectors, Controlled by Marvell 88SE9172 Chip)

Also with this setup the Intel RST Service is not running. Although these ports are capable of xfer rate of 6GB/s but it is reporting only 1.5.

Will you suggest I live with this, or is there way to troubleshoot why I can't boot into windows with SSD and HHD connected to IDE port.
Is there any info you want to look at to comment.
m
l
December 13, 2011 1:20:56 PM

o1die said:

Do you any suggestions on how to resolve windows not booting in ACHI while connecting to regular sata3 ports. As I mentioned it boots if connected to the gsata ports (GSATA3_6/7 (SATA 6Gb/s Connectors, Controlled by Marvell 88SE9172 Chip)
Not really sure if that drops performance or not but Intel RST surely doesn't work.

Also wondering if you can recommend me a motherboard. May be swapping it with one that supports UEFI bios, would help.
Also the current motherboard doesn't have vga port, and I've connected it to HDMI 40 inch Philips 240HZ LCD tv used as monitor.
But if I'm playing a you tube video or itunes song and I all the sudden turn off the program, without properly first pressing stop on the song or any sound I'm playing, it creates a BUZZING sound on monitor that doesn't go away until I play something else. So I'm having to use the remote to mute it quite often. Wonder if that is this motherboard issue or would you have any thoughts?

Any help is appreciated, as I need to decide to return the MB if that is the case before I'm unable to.

Thanks.
m
l
!