Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Why were most sound card limited to EAX 2.0?

Tags:
  • Sound Cards
  • Creative
  • Components
Last response: in Components
April 6, 2011 4:09:32 AM

A long time ago CL (Creative labs) had licensed out EAX 1.0 and 2.0 to all the sound card manufactures, But not EAX 3.0, 4.0, 5.0.
Did CL just never offered past EAX 2.0 because CL wanted to gain market share using EAX 3.0-5.0?
Or did CL ask too much for licensing EAX 3.0-5.0?
Recently, CL has been selling their chips/DSP to other manufactures, but limiting them the EAX 4.0.
So what was the big story on EAX?

More about : sound card limited eax

April 9, 2011 10:56:13 PM

As far as I know, you were right the first time when you said Creative wanted to keep the upper hand by being the only company to offer EAX 3-5.0. Of course, since I can't really contact the company and ask them about it, I can only assume this is what's going on.

When you say 'other manufacturers', you're talking about Auzentech - the only company to my knowledge that has been able to use Creative's chips in their third-party sound cards. Of course, if Creative were to give them everything up to EAX 5.0, they would be basically killing their sales completely if Auzen were to make a better, more stable product (which I feel they did).

So there you have it, to the extent of my knowlege. Like I said, I can't say that for sure, but even if they were asking too much for licensing, it would have been done purposely so that the other companies would either not be able to afford it or would have to give them a ridiculous amount of money in order to use EAX 5.0. Creative would win either way.
m
l
April 10, 2011 1:31:11 PM

^+1 that's exactly what happened = licensing fees
Pretty much a dead issue anyways as the majority of games implement 3D direct sound,Miles Sounds Systems or something similiar.

m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
April 18, 2011 2:19:01 AM

I wonder if Creative Labs would come out with EAX 6.0, just to gain market share?
m
l
April 18, 2011 2:31:54 AM

There's really no point since 99% of new game releases in the last 3yrs don't use EAX 5.0.
m
l
April 18, 2011 8:19:51 AM

Tacoboy said:
I wonder if Creative Labs would come out with EAX 6.0, just to gain market share?

i think of course
m
l