• Games
  • Monitors
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 11, 2010 8:24:42 PM

Hey there guys,

Recently I purchased this laptop:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

and it's been working perfectly fine.

But it seems to have issues when playing certain games when running on multiple monitors.

The graphics card is a Geforce GTS 360M with the latest drivers.

Anyway onto the problem.

I have the laptop connected to a Samsung T220HD with HDMI and set that as the main screen while the laptop screen as secondary.

When I play certain games on this setup (X3 Terran Conflict or Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic) the laptop instantly shuts down after 5 - 10 minutes in the game, upon booting up I get the Windows 7 boot up selection (Windows has shut down unexpectedly, start up in safe mode, safe mode with networking, normally, etc). The laptop boots up normally and everything's fine.

Now when I play these games on just the laptop's screen, the games don't cause any shutdown or crashing.

That's pretty much the entire problem; what's causing the crashing on a HDMI multiple monitor setup?

If anyone can provide any help it would be greatly appreciated.

More about : crashing multiple monitors

a b U Graphics card
November 11, 2010 8:44:22 PM

Well you are stressing the graphics a lot more, causing more heat. nVidia cards are notoriously bad for heat related issues so I reckon that's likely to be the problem.
m
l
November 11, 2010 8:50:09 PM

I kind of doubt it's an overheating issue as Team Fortress 2 and Left for Dead 2 don't crash my laptop when it's connected to the Samsung monitor (laptop screen both on or off). And if it's an issue with older games (Star Wars) a heavily modded Morrowind doesn't cause any crashing either.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 11, 2010 9:01:19 PM

Well what do you think? It can't be drivers because nVidia drivers are perfection, obviously.

Being serious, when pc's shut down after a certain period of gaming time, it's normally due to overheating. And you are stressing it a lot more by running 2 screens.

You could try running furmark or some other intense graphic benchmark like 3d Mark Vantage just to make sure (with just the laptop screen I mean). If it's fine with that, you can safely say it's not heat stress.
m
l
November 11, 2010 9:53:44 PM

well i have tried the games i mentioned on just the laptop screen and they work perfectly (star wars kotor and X3 did not crash).
and i suppose i failed to write it properly but i am only running these games on one screen only, not both, meaning one monitor (the samsung) is displaying the game while the other (the laptop) is on desktop.
i have tried testing all games while only one monitor is on at a single time and it seems that only some games crash while i run the game off an external monitor (samsung) rather than crashing on the laptop screen only (disconnected from the samsung).

i'll try running a benchmark later on.
m
l
!