gamer3d

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
I am thinking of getting the i5 2500 or the 2500k. Do both of these cpu's come with a stock cooler when you purchase them?

vivi2000

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2008
Yes, the difference is that the 2500K has an unlocked(up to 60x) multiplier which allows you to overclock. If you never are going to OC then you would want the 2500 not 2500k.

Mudit Sathe

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
If you want to overclock your processor get i5 2500k or else get the i5 2500 if you don't plan to pverclock your processor.Yes, they both come with stock coolers.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Those other guys don't "get it" so let me repeat: The i5 2500 and 2500K have onboard video file encoding that's faster than "just about anything else" you can put in the system. The 2500K's media encoder is TWICE as powerful as the 2500's, and the 2500's is still more powerful than those built into graphics cards.

But...no sane person would buy a 2500K and actually use the on-cpu video. Why? Because who on Earth would buy a unlocked processor and put it on a board that doesn't allow overclocking???

I think Intel was smoking the Crizack when they decided to do that. Especially since they put the best gpu (GT2) on the two models that are unlocked. So the people who are actually going to use and appreciate those on-cpu graphics are stuck wtih the crappy GT1 graphics instead of the faster GT2 graphics.

It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

I am thinking of getting the i5 2500 or the 2500k. Do both of these cpu's come with a stock cooler when you purchase them?

You always get a cooler if you buy the retail box. If you buy the OEM cpu, you do NOT get a cooler with it. I have not seen any OEM 2500K's yet though, which is strange.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
This is actually a cunning plan by Intel to get people who already bought P67 motherboards to rush out for Z68 motherboards when they're launched :)

pacioli

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010

I think it is a plan to get two market segments to be forced to purchase the same 2 chips. Two chips that are the two most expensive chips of this architecture. They divided the marketplace and are selling essentially the same product to two groups for different needs. Marketing genius. Then they get another windfall when the guy that needs the latest/greatest buys the newly released Z68.

Intel did all kinds of marketing tricks on this release. Like the 2500K and 2600K being 100 Mhz apart and $100 apart. Sure you get 2 mb more of L3 and hyperthreading for that $100. Neither give an advantage in games. Clearly the hyperthreading isn't that big of a deal to implement as it is implemented in i3 SB chip that are priced near that $100 spread.

I have a discrete GPU and am not worried that there is a super powerful encoder on the die that I won't be using ever. Because is all I do is play games. Why would I want a Z68 when all my needs are met. I know you've played already played with the Z68, Crashman. Is the Z68 going to increase my fps in Metro 2033? I think not

pacioli

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010

Yes it does have a pad of goo ready for you to stick to the processor.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I have no Z68 yet, that's Chris' department. But the eventuality of a Z68 review would give me the opportunity to upgrade my machine. I game occasionally and transcode video occasionally, so I wouldn't mind having the best of both.

Cunning plan??

Dumbest marketing plan I ever heard of. How many people here have a B3 P67 and are going to upgrade to Z68?? :cry: