Updating bios with EZ Flash

adam1712

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2010
Hi guys, i built my first system a few months back now and its been running brilliantly but ive just thought to check if i am up to date, my motherboard is a P8Z68-V Pro and turns out im still on bios 0501, there are 3 or 4 newer now, newest being 1101.

I have never updated a bios in my life and dont have a clue where to start, from what i have read i understand my best bet is using the built in EZ flash from my bios, but that all i know.

Could anyone give me a simple rundown of exectly what i need to do?

Do i need to backup my current bios and how?
Do i need to install every bios update or can i go straight to the latest?
Do i need to back up my hard drive incase complete failure?
How do i use EZ Flash? I know i need to use a usb but thats about it?

Hope you can help :)

1. Backing up your old bios is optional, but is a good idea if you have a usb flash drive.
2. Install the latest bios only at the top of the bios files.
3. No need to backup hardrive; the flashing procedure won't effect it.
4. Download the "ez flash 2" file on your hardrive and install it on your system. Check for and disable any "boot block" or "virus protection" files in your bios. You may or may not have them. Then disable windows firewall. After installing, click on the program icon while you're online and let it search for the latest file, or you can download and unzip the file on your system. I use the documents file. While flashing, give it time to finish and don't do anything to your system. It will either tell you when to reboot or do it automatically. Then you can enter the bios, set the boot order and enable the bios protection settings you disabled, save and exit.

EZ Falsh allows you to backup your current BIOS.

Install only the latest BIOS.

Flashing the BIOS doesn't affect the hard drive, but you should document your current BIOS configuration as you'll probably need it.

Copy the new BIOS file to a USB key and start EZ Flash by pressing the appropriate function keys (probably Alt+F2) at POST. The first step is to backup your current BIOS and then flash the new BIOS. Don't reboot the system; EZ Flash will do it when the upgrade is completed. If you can, connect the system to a UPS because a power outage is not welcome while flashing a BIOS.

TRENDING THREADS