Motherboard short circuit?

Sonny73N

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011
My first Intel build has been giving me quite problems lately. It's barely 6 weeks old. I'd like to thank Tomshardware's community for helping me from OCing to troubleshooting various hardware/software problems.

Now hopefully this is my last issue with this build: After I re-adjusted the HSF, some keys on my keyboard won't work. The HSF is Zalman 9500. I can see it has very bad mounting design which puts a lot of stress on the MB even it's lighter than the others a bit. The keys not working are QWER UIOP. I'd tried all different method for the last 2 days and I'm pretty sure the MB, hardware wise. My whole system is new from newegg about 6 weeks ago. The keyboard is USB. I tried everything from plugging it in difference port to reinstalling driver, reinstalling Windows, disabling startup services/items... Nothing works. The keyboard works fine on my laptop and my sister's all-in-one PC. Don't know if I can RMA the MB because it has been 6 weeks but I'm about to order another unless you guys suggest otherwise.

I guess I got what I paid for. It's Z68M-D2H which I bought based totally on excellent reviews. Please help.

I5-2500k at default speed
8GB GSkill RAM 1333MHz
Corsair Xtreme 600w PSU
Corsair Force3 90GB SSD

Solution
Would not suspect the Zalman 9500 unless you way over tightened the 4 screws. As oldie suggested, it's worth a try to re-install the Stock HSF. Although The Stock does work, very few recommend it for OCing. Personally, I never even install, just keep it in the Back to prevent box from Blowing away (LOL).

My Eperense with Zalman - Like them, biggest draw back is they are to expensive, unless bought on sale. As to performance, the 9500LED is not as good as the Hyper 212+, a much cheaper HSF.

I have the Zalman 9500LED on E6400 OCed to 3.2, the 9700LED on my I5-750 (OCed to 3.2) and the 9900Max on my I5-2500k (4.2). Love the 9900Max, but as stated too expensive and installation can be a Bit&%^.

If your only problem is the Key board...
I would change the zalman to the stock Intel heatsink and see if that helps. If you have to remove the motherboard, check for loose case standoffs or any screws or loose wires under the board. Remounting the board with the stock heatsink may fix your problems. I don't discount Intel's heatsink like some folks. It provides adequate cooling for most applications and modest overclocks. I don't expect my temps to stay in the 40's all the time.

Would not suspect the Zalman 9500 unless you way over tightened the 4 screws. As oldie suggested, it's worth a try to re-install the Stock HSF. Although The Stock does work, very few recommend it for OCing. Personally, I never even install, just keep it in the Back to prevent box from Blowing away (LOL).

My Eperense with Zalman - Like them, biggest draw back is they are to expensive, unless bought on sale. As to performance, the 9500LED is not as good as the Hyper 212+, a much cheaper HSF.

I have the Zalman 9500LED on E6400 OCed to 3.2, the 9700LED on my I5-750 (OCed to 3.2) and the 9900Max on my I5-2500k (4.2). Love the 9900Max, but as stated too expensive and installation can be a Bit&%^.

If your only problem is the Key board, I would suspect the Z68 Chipset (or area around that) vs the CPU. (See Block diagram on pg 8 of manual.

Also have you tried the Keyboard in the PS2 Port (can use a USB->PS2 connector adaptor) or, if available an OLD PS2 keyboard.

Solution

Sonny73N

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011

Thank you so much, Chief. Thanks o1die. After I read your post, I went straight to Walmart and got a PS2 keyboard. My last resort had turned out pretty good. The problem went away but I suspected the Zalman's clip had put a lot stress on my MB. I didn't know they would have a very poor mounting design. The first HSF I purchased with my system was the Hyper N 520 for $35 on sale. Then I noticed it was quite heavy, not to mention the 3-pin power plug which has no support for PWM. So I ordered the Zalman which was lighter and having very good reviews. I still have the Hyper. I guess I'll be saving it for rainny days :). I like the Zalman for its fin design but the heatpipes doesn't have very good contact with the base and no back plate neither. It's funny that I just saw their building a few days ago, 4 blocks from my house on the same blvd.

I just OCed my i5 to 4GHz with Intel TurboBoost disabled. Everything else is on auto except for the RAM which is set at 7 7 7 21 as its spec. I ran P95 and Realtemp for about an hour. Idle @30C. Full load @65C with my room temp about 27C. I'm not sure if that was good temps.

Everything is working fine now but I think my board won't last long. I was just about having an excuse to get a better board. Hope I have one soon for the wife cause she keeps my money :)

Edit* correct Hyper HSF version.