Sign in with
Your question

Audigy or Mobo HD Audio

Last response: in Components
April 6, 2011 9:36:11 AM

Hi All,

I have just upgraded to a new motherboard (GA-P67A-UD5-B3), which has:

Realtek ALC889 Codec, HD Audio, 2/4/5.1/7.1 Channel, according to the manual.

Does my Audigy still offer anything, or should I get rid of it and just use the onboard sound?

Thanks for any help,

Ape

More about : audigy mobo audio

a b V Motherboard
April 6, 2011 9:48:54 AM

If you have an audigy card to use, then by all means stick to it.. There would be no difference in audio output compared to the onboard though..
m
l
a c 117 V Motherboard
April 6, 2011 11:07:31 AM

If it's an Audigy 2 or 4 yes i would use it.
If it's just a 1st gen Audigy i would use the onboard.
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
April 6, 2011 11:09:57 AM

i agree with the above, my audigy 4 poops all over onboard audio. But really, try it for yourself, you have both.
m
l
April 6, 2011 11:54:39 AM

I only have an Audigy 1. I'm no audiophile and doubt I would be able to tell the difference.

I guess I was wondering whether the Audigy makes one less thing for the PC to do, or, whether the Audigy is actuall not as advanced as half decent onboard sound these days.

Thanks for your opinions.

Ape
m
l
a c 117 V Motherboard
April 6, 2011 12:58:19 PM

BigApeLikeThing said:
I only have an Audigy 1. I'm no audiophile and doubt I would be able to tell the difference.

I guess I was wondering whether the Audigy makes one less thing for the PC to do, or, whether the Audigy is actuall not as advanced as half decent onboard sound these days.

Thanks for your opinions.

Ape

Your onboard sound chip is much more advanced then a 16bit 5.1 Audigy 1.
It has Realtek ALC889 which supports 24 bit 7.1-channel High Definition Audio, Dolby® Home Theater,and Support for S/PDIF Out.
None of those features are available on an Audigy 1.

m
l
April 7, 2011 8:54:24 PM

This is what i thought may be the case. Thanks for the help everyone, the Audigy is now out of the system.

Ape
m
l
!