Sign in with
Your question

Why my pc doesnt show the real memory

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b } Memory
April 6, 2011 11:11:38 AM

Hello,lately i have been checking my "Vista C" memory and it shows that it have 149gbs left but the true is that it have 160 gbs left does anyone know why or what is making this happening?
a b à CPUs
April 6, 2011 11:38:42 AM

some operating system arent meant to show the entire spectrum of your memory.Some memory maybe hidden for bios images, for hidden files etc.Most of the time you havent formatted your hdd properly which leads to this problem.
April 6, 2011 2:32:55 PM

If you're talking about a hard drive it's just the difference in the way that the bits are calculated. They way they're marketed, calling it 160 Giga Bytes, they're using Giga as a standard multiplier of 1000, like a 500 Gigawatt power plant etc... However the way your computer actually recognizes these are in multiples of 1024. For anything Gigabyte, take the number that it's marketed as, IE 160 GB, and divide by 1.024^3. You'll get 150 (or 149 really). Just like a 500 GB HDD actually has only 465 usable. It has nothing to do with the system mysteriously occupying some capacity, it's everything about marketing.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b } Memory
April 6, 2011 3:45:50 PM

Oh thanks alot guys!i was kinda scared since my pc warms up way faster and makes alot of noise.
April 6, 2011 3:50:18 PM

Quote:
Oh thanks alot guys!i was kinda scared since my pc warms up way faster and makes alot of noise.

That sounds like a different problem altogether... Have you ever opened up the machine to clean it? You'd be amazed the degree of dust that can accumulate inside a PC case.
!