Complete Computer failure...help?

thelikerofpie

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
So the other day I was at my computer and it just shut down. At the time, i was playing Skyrim and watching an HD movie so I thought that my computer just overheated (although it never has before which is why it is weird). So, as I was playing skyrim quite late, I decided to go to bed and see what happens in the morning. Once I wake up, I press the power button and nothing happens. So I turn off the power supply, wait a bit, turn it on again and then press the button. This time, the computer flickers on for about a half second and then shuts down again. If I press the power button again, it won't flicker unless I turn the power supply off then on again.

I'm thinking that my motherboard is fried because my computer shuts down before it gets to the BIOS. However, I would like to just see if anybody else has a different theory or thinks that mine is correct.

Thanks everyone for your help in advance

m4A88td-v evo usb3
4GB G.Skill DDR3
AMD Phenom II X4 965
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W
2X - Diamond Radeon 5770

You can check the power supply with a simple meter, but even that won't guarantee that it's good. If you have a spare ps, try it first. If not, now's a good time to get one. If you have a spare system, then you can skip the testing and rma the board to asus. But asus is very picky about inspecting the board for physical damage. If there is any damage on the board (burn marks, scrape marks on the circuitry, etc) then they will reject the rma claim.

thelikerofpie

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
So after plugging and unplugging a few things, I realized that my main graphics card shorted out which caused the power supply to shut down. I guess I'll be playing Skyrim on low settings if i'm watching a movie as well.

Thanks for the help!