Sign in with
Your question

New PSU and GPU needed for Dell Studio XPS 8100

Last response: in Components
April 6, 2011 11:53:58 AM

Hello,

Owing to a hardware failure (see later if interested) I think I need to replace the GPU and PSU which came with my Dell Studio XPS 8100.

The current GPU is an NVIDIA GeForce GTS 240 and the PSU is a bog-standard Dell installation (around 350W at a guess).

I would like to change the GPU to an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti and change to a correspondingly higher-power PSU.

Firstly, can someone confirm that my rig (8GB RAM, Win 7 Pro, 1.2TB HD, Intel i5-750) will be able to take the GeForce GTX 560 Ti and can anyone recommend a suitable new PSU (around 700W at a guess).

Many thanks

xpb

Hardware Failure Details
---------------------------

Until recently, when playing a GPU-intensive game, for example Colin McRae DiRT 2, my GPU fan would spin up from its relatively quiet, slow rotation to a faster, noiser one. Once I had finished playing and closed the game down, the fan would obligingly slow back down to its original rotation.

The problem is that this no longer happens - the fan speeds up OK but will not slow down. The only way I can get the fan to go back to the correct speed is via a reboot; not ideal.

I am running the latest BIOS etc. and from other posts it seems I have a hardware problem - hence my request for information on replacing the GPU and PSU.
!