Upgrade for BTX formfactor motherboard

xeikai

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
Hey everyone. I've been upgrading my old gateway pc for the last few months here and there, new processor, new graphics card ect. Now i'm looking to upgrade the board itself. After searching around newegg i noticed my board was definitely not ATX, upon more research i found out that i in fact do have a BTX board, or a variant of such.

Here's a link to the board i currently have.

http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERBD/Intel2/4006151R/4006151Rsp24.shtml

I'm possibly looking for a BTX board that is equal or better than my current board due to the reason that these specific bios on this board cannot run 8gb of memory with windows 7 as the board it'self was designed to work with vista only. I've researched and troubleshot this issue to hell and back and I've narrowed it down to windows 7 just not liking my motherboard having more than 4gb for some reason even though the board supports 8gb. Basically i installed vista on another HD that i have and booted it up, and windows boots with all 8gb in both channels. while 7 will simply just looping restart if i have 8gb in, but boot fine if i have 4gb's.

So i'm in the market for replacing the bios to something that wont be so disagreeable with windows 7 when it comes to the ram. Possibly I'd be interested in a chipset that allows overclocking of the CPU as well. If you guys can give me any good recommendations, I'd truly appreciate it:)

P.S. Yes, i know most places do not sell BTX boards anymore, I was hoping someone would know a good retailer who does, or know of some Ebay auctions i could check out.

Solution
I found an hp btx board that will use a few quad core cpus, but do yourself a favor and ditch the gateway system. Either sell it intact with the hardrive formated and a fresh windows install, or keep the whole system for a spare. By the time you spend the money for a newer board and quad core cpu, you can get an 1155 setup for a few dollars more. The hp board I found only uses hp drivers from their website, even for windows 7. And quadcore wolfdale cpus are just too expensive for the performance you get. It's like throwing good money into an old used car.
I found an hp btx board that will use a few quad core cpus, but do yourself a favor and ditch the gateway system. Either sell it intact with the hardrive formated and a fresh windows install, or keep the whole system for a spare. By the time you spend the money for a newer board and quad core cpu, you can get an 1155 setup for a few dollars more. The hp board I found only uses hp drivers from their website, even for windows 7. And quadcore wolfdale cpus are just too expensive for the performance you get. It's like throwing good money into an old used car.

Solution