New build, not running like it should... ?

Awall440

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2010
Hey guys,

Taking the advice of these forums, I purchased the following:

Proc: Phenom II x4 955 (can OC to a 970 level, but the fan is insanely loud).
MoBo: AsRock 870 Extreme3
RAM: Wintec DDR3 @ 1333mhz
Vid: HIS 6850 1gig
Sound: Audigy Xfi Gamer
Network: KillerXeno
Monitor: Acer 21.5" @ 1920 x 1080

I realize that the resolution is high, but I get a lot of hitching on just about all games I play. The games range from WoW to Crysis currently. But with some of the newer games coming soon... I want to make sure I can play them well enough.

I would like to think that with this set up, LotRO and WoW would see no hitching even at the highest levels, yet I have to lower them to less highest settings... or is this to be expected with the vid card/resolution I have? Should I find another resolution taht works on this screen?

Thanks all!

What OS are you running? If it's Vista or 7, what drivers are you using for your Audigy? If it the default drivers that windows installs, or the ones provided by Creative, that maybe your problem. I have an Audigy 2 under Windows 7 and I am using the daniel_k drivers and it fixed all the issues I had. Here is a link:

http://www.filefront.com/14930847/Audigy_SupportPack_3_6.exe/

They are getting exceedingly hard to find.

Awall440

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2010
Currently I am running Windows 7. If memory serves, I am using the drivers from Creative... hmm...

I removed the card drivers and card all together and it seemed to help slightly. Onboard is good enough, so I may end up keeping that instead of the card. However, I am still getting slight hitching where I wouldn't think there is. The internal fps counter is showing well over 30fps, but still, hitching remains! When there is no hitching, the game is as smooth as butter... I would think that I could play just about anything on highest settings...

Perhaps I was hoping too high?

Long shot, but could it be that not all my cores are being utilized?