Alienware Area 51X

PudgyChicken

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
Hello,
I have an Alienware Area 51 Desktop (1 year old) with a Core i7 950, dual GTX 260s, and 12 GB DDR3 RAM. Today when I went to turn on my computer, as soon as I hit the power button, it flashed on and off again. And it continued to do so multiple times. So I unplugged it and plugged back in again, and alas, it did the same thing. I noticed that on the back of the PSU there was a small button, and if I hold it down, the computer seems to power up, but there is no power to my keyboard and my monitor doesnt gate any signal. When I opened up my computer, I saw that the PSU is some strange Alienware type with the strangest interface I've ever seen, and its rated to output 750 Watts. The motherboard is manufarcured by Asus, so I'm less concerned that it's at fault.

What do you think the issue is and what do you think I should do?

Thanks!
PudgyChicken

therightstuff

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011
I have a Aurora. I thought I had a power supply go out.Called tech support (under warranty). They had me push that button in to check the power supply. Found out later it was the power switch. Hope it helps.

PudgyChicken

Distinguished
May 17, 2010

Yeah, when i hold down that button on the back of the PSU, it seemed to power up all the components, but my keyboard did not power up and my monitor didnt have a signal. What switch are you talking about?

PudgyChicken

Distinguished
May 17, 2010

Issue is, when I hit the power button on the mobo itself, it still happens. It's an Asus mobo with built in power and reset buttons.

therightstuff

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011
On mine,when I hit the power button it would act like it was starting. As soon as I let it go,the computer turned off. Just shooting from the hip here. What color of light do you have on the power button. Just from recent MB problems on Dell pcs,if the color is orange/amber the MB is out.