Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • Gtx
  • Bottleneck
  • Intel i7
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 12, 2010 8:29:46 AM

I currently have 2 GTX 480's and could add another one for cheaper then buying 2 GTX 580's

So 3 GTX 480's would pretty much beat 2 GTX 580's and comes close to bottlenecking my i7 960

I am running 3 24's @ 6002x1080p btw...

Any opinions?

More about : gtx 480 gtx 580

November 12, 2010 8:46:41 AM

well the 3 GTX 480s would run pretty hot i assume and consume more power, 2x 580 would be cooler and consume less power and i dont think there would be a VERY big performance difference between 3x 480 and 2x 580 because 2x sli has the best scaling. if i were to choose i would choose 2x GTX 580s but since you already have 2x 480s and could easily add another one its a bit hard to say what you should do :D 

lets see what others have to say.
m
l
November 12, 2010 8:58:19 AM

I think 2 GTX 580's would heat up a room the same way the GTX 480's do; just not as fast if you get my point.

Power consumption is the least of my worries but I agree that 3 GTX 480's would make me sweat lol

I can get another GTX 480 for around 300 dollars which is not bad for a 30 percent performance increase and pretty much maxes out my CPU so I would be set until the i9's come out.
m
l
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
November 12, 2010 8:59:10 AM

Yup, i also agree with 2x GTX 580.
Triple GTX 480 would run pretty HOT, yes 3x GTX480 are faster than 2x GTX580 but consider power consumption and HEAT...
So, i suggest 2x GTX580 than 3x GTX480. :) 
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
November 12, 2010 9:01:00 AM

Another vote for 2 580s.3-Way SLI doesn't scale as good as 2-way, also 3 GTX 480s will run considerable hotter as Derbixrace mentioned,so go with 2 580s
m
l
November 12, 2010 9:16:40 AM

I may wait and see what ATI has in store; hopefully their eyefinity improves because I like nvidia surround much better at this point, no display port required etc.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
November 12, 2010 10:09:51 AM

If each 580 gains 15% minimum over the 480 , cooler, pulling less power.
2 in sli should scale to give more performance than adding 30% by a 3rd 480 in tri-sli.
In part because not all games respond to tri-sli, but almost all do with 2 gpu's.
m
l
November 12, 2010 11:31:49 AM

There is really only one good solution... Since 3 480s are going to bottle neck your CPU you need to invest in a 980x OC'd to about 4.5 ghz Liquid Cooled. Get a Nice MB 500$+, Sell off the 480's and then get quad sli 580's... Seems like the only reasonable solution.... What do you guys think?

Other Thoughts--- Pondering if Dual Xeon 980X would Diminish any sort of bottle neck?
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
November 12, 2010 11:46:05 AM

^
wasting money...
m
l
November 12, 2010 8:56:07 PM

The other option would be to dedicate the third GTX 480 for physx; anyone know if physx is going to be around for awhile?
m
l
November 12, 2010 9:04:21 PM

I agree with finalhunter
m
l
a c 457 Î Nvidia
November 12, 2010 9:54:58 PM

The difference is going to be $300 for one used GTX480 vs. $1000+ for two GTX580's. I guess price is no object? If you plan things out with case airflow and allow for space around the PCIe lanes, there is no reason why a tri-SLI setup couldn't work just fine. In demanding games like Metro 2033, tri-SLI actually scales very well. You will need to be running at 2560x1600 resolution to see the benefits in most games.

If you were starting from scratch, I would say get the 580's, but if you have most of the system already and really want to push the limits for high resolution gaming, then the cheapest upgrade is the extra 480. Still, I am finding it hard to believe that someone with a Core i7 960 and GTX480's in SLI needs a gaming upgrade. IMO, the most effective upgrade for your gaming experience would be to pick up some beer and smokes.

Some info:
"The performance scaling you've just witnessed is just phenomenal, for 2-way that is. If you want to go 3-way .. then you better have a massively overclocked core i7 processor as you'll run into all kinds of CPU bottlenecks."

"Get this, our Core i7 965X processor is overclocked at default at 3750 MHz, and man .. it's just not enough to satisfy three GTX 480 cards most of the time. And that makes sense as it's just such a truckload of raw GPU horsepower."

"Nope, placed in 2-way SLI things certainly are looking good. The driver team did a magnificent job, all titles we used were running SLI straight out of the box , there was no tweaking needed, no manual profiling ... nothing. It's a testimony of the multi-GPU driver development that NVIDIA started years ago, and right now you reap the benefits of that fruit. 3-way SLI well .. it opens up a can of worms called bottlenecks. We really need next generation processors for that."
http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-480-3way-sli-...

Please do not use a GTX480 for a dedicated PhysX card. The GPU's can handle both graphics and PhysX with no problems as is.
m
l
November 13, 2010 2:22:04 AM

The only reason I even considered a third GPU was surround vision, as stated above; I am running @ 6002x1080p...

Thats a pretty demanding resolution, forget about cranking up the physx on Batman AA to very high, dido with Metro 2033 hince the 3rd GTX being used as dedicated physx. (The same can be said for Mafia 2 btw)

I get a constant 60 fps in Black Ops and Dirt 2 with the AA turned down to x4, anything over that will bog down 2 GTX 480's and would prob do the same to a GTX 580 SLI setup.

It would only make sense to spend 300 dollars vs selling the 2 GTX 480's I have and buying 2 new GTX 580's for a 1k.

As for bottlenecking, referenced right here on Toms Hardware showed a substantial boost in overall performance using 3 GTX 480's, it was 4 GTX 480's that bottlenecked the cpu.

I just saw another thread of some guy that bought 3 GTX 580's I would imagine that setup is bottlenecked.

Again, The 580's run cooler in comparison to the 480's but under load will heat up a room just like the 480's when playing a GPU intensive game such as Metro 2033. I am just referring to 2d surround mode btw, 3d surround is damn near impossible at extreme resolutions for now. But I really do not care about 3d surround anyways.

m
l
November 13, 2010 5:21:27 AM

Soludnickel, I'm the guy that just got 3 580s. I haven't really had a chance to benchmark much since I left for NC after setting everything up, but if you let me know some benchmarks in different configs you want me to run, let me know. I have a 3008wfp and 2 26" monitors so I can do a lot of different settings. I'll be back in town Sunday.
m
l
November 13, 2010 6:36:46 AM

microterf said:
I agree with finalhunter

Don't be offended, but why would you agree with this guy considering his comment above is either...

a. sarcastic
b. ridiculous
c. stupid

It also appeared that he was doing the same thing on your thread when telling you that you should have bought a quad SLI board.

Perhaps you know the guy and I was reading it the wrong way but thats what I felt. It appears that this guy is not here to help you and hopefully you have not been using him as your consultant.

Anyways, back on track here; Can you test out Dirt 2 on two monitors with max resolution and settings, let me know how much you can crank up the AA. Assuming you have 3 of these bad boys, you should be able to take it to the top, let me know what your benchmark runs.

I would also be interested in Batman AA with everything set to very high including the physx, you can dedicate one of those cards to auto for physx and pretty much need to because it will bog your CPU down big time. Let me know what you hit on the benchmark.

One more game; See how far you can take Mafia 2 and let me know the results. (also the temps on afterburner)

If you can do the above with just 2 GTX 580's; it will help me better make my decision on what to do! I would be curious with the results on 3 GTX 580's if you have time that is...

Thanks man and hope you enjoy your time in NC; my dad lives there.

m
l
November 13, 2010 11:17:11 AM

solidnickel said:
Don't be offended, but why would you agree with this guy considering his comment above is either...

a. sarcastic
b. ridiculous
c. stupid

It also appeared that he was doing the same thing on your thread when telling you that you should have bought a quad SLI board.

Perhaps you know the guy and I was reading it the wrong way but thats what I felt. It appears that this guy is not here to help you and hopefully you have not been using him as your consultant.

Anyways, back on track here; Can you test out Dirt 2 on two monitors with max resolution and settings, let me know how much you can crank up the AA. Assuming you have 3 of these bad boys, you should be able to take it to the top, let me know what your benchmark runs.

I would also be interested in Batman AA with everything set to very high including the physx, you can dedicate one of those cards to auto for physx and pretty much need to because it will bog your CPU down big time. Let me know what you hit on the benchmark.

One more game; See how far you can take Mafia 2 and let me know the results. (also the temps on afterburner)

If you can do the above with just 2 GTX 580's; it will help me better make my decision on what to do! I would be curious with the results on 3 GTX 580's if you have time that is...

Thanks man and hope you enjoy your time in NC; my dad lives there.

Sarcasm
m
l
November 13, 2010 2:13:18 PM

I will have to get those games as I only have dirt 2 from the ones you mentioned, but I will get those done for you. As for finalhunter, its just an inside joke. Pay no attention and def don't get a dual xeon board lol.
m
l
a c 457 Î Nvidia
November 13, 2010 2:19:30 PM

solidnickel said:
The only reason I even considered a third GPU was surround vision, as stated above; I am running @ 6002x1080p...

Thats a pretty demanding resolution, forget about cranking up the physx on Batman AA to very high, dido with Metro 2033 hince the 3rd GTX being used as dedicated physx. (The same can be said for Mafia 2 btw)

I get a constant 60 fps in Black Ops and Dirt 2 with the AA turned down to x4, anything over that will bog down 2 GTX 480's and would prob do the same to a GTX 580 SLI setup.

It would only make sense to spend 300 dollars vs selling the 2 GTX 480's I have and buying 2 new GTX 580's for a 1k.

As for bottlenecking, referenced right here on Toms Hardware showed a substantial boost in overall performance using 3 GTX 480's, it was 4 GTX 480's that bottlenecked the cpu.

I just saw another thread of some guy that bought 3 GTX 580's I would imagine that setup is bottlenecked.

Again, The 580's run cooler in comparison to the 480's but under load will heat up a room just like the 480's when playing a GPU intensive game such as Metro 2033. I am just referring to 2d surround mode btw, 3d surround is damn near impossible at extreme resolutions for now. But I really do not care about 3d surround anyways.

I think your reasoning is sound. At that high resolution you will need a beefy setup and tri-SLI will help a lot. The benefit for a dedicated PhysX card is ~+25% in PhysX games. I think the tri-SLI will scale better than 25%, so it might be best for three cards pulling both graphics and PhysX duty.

You are probably the only one here with SLI'ed GTX480 experience, so you will be the best judge of the pros and cons.
m
l
November 13, 2010 2:52:46 PM

I found the 3rd gpu seems to increase the min framerate more than anything.
m
l
a c 457 Î Nvidia
November 13, 2010 3:00:31 PM

microterf said:
I found the 3rd gpu seems to increase the min framerate more than anything.

And that's really more crucial than maximum framerates.
m
l
November 14, 2010 2:15:10 AM

Yes, min frame rate really determines the"feel" of the game. Have you decided on what to get OP?
m
l
November 14, 2010 4:45:31 AM

I am heavily leaning towards another GTX 480 considering a few factors...

Its a way cheaper solution for a substantial leap in performance nearly bottlenecking my 960 OC @ 3.8 until the next gen cpu's come out.

I will prob wait until next year before making a final decision considering no game really hinders my performance when turning down the AA which does not effect the visuals to be honest.

Medal of Honor, BF2 and Black Ops all get a steady 60 fps and thats all you can really hope for especially at that resolution. (Crysis 2 and Dirt 3 are not out yet)

I am addicted to Surround Vision though!
m
l
November 14, 2010 7:03:00 AM

Yes, surround gaming is awesome
m
l
a c 457 Î Nvidia
November 14, 2010 8:59:07 AM

microterf said:
Yes, surround gaming is awesome

Include 3D Vision, and then you are really talking some serious virtual reality gaming.
m
l
November 14, 2010 12:58:08 PM

Do they make any larger 120hz monitors? I might have to try out 3d
m
l
November 14, 2010 2:08:08 PM

microterf said:
Do they make any larger 120hz monitors? I might have to try out 3d

I would honestly wait until the prices come down in a year or 2; I bought 3 24" Asus monitors for a little over 600 dollars.

I am waiting for something like this but wider and of course cheaper...

I could not imagine trying to push 3d Surround Vision at that resolution even 3 GTX 580's on upcoming games; be lucky to hit 30 fps on medium settings :ouch: 
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
November 14, 2010 3:35:18 PM

If you have a 1.4kw~ psu and got enough air flow then go ahead as it is better than just spending $1k on two new cards any way regardless of heat and power consumption. You won't have the best and most up to date machine out there but that is life.
m
l
November 14, 2010 8:17:44 PM

nforce4max said:
If you have a 1.4kw~ psu and got enough air flow then go ahead as it is better than just spending $1k on two new cards any way regardless of heat and power consumption. You won't have the best and most up to date machine out there but that is life.

Nvidia will have a GTX 680 out before you know it especially after ATI comes out besting the GTX 580 ;) 
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
November 14, 2010 8:20:41 PM

solidnickel said:
Nvidia will have a GTX 680 out before you know it especially after ATI comes out besting the GTX 580 ;) 

Well then go buy em those two 580 and give them as a holiday gift.
m
l
November 14, 2010 11:15:01 PM

nforce4max said:
Well then go buy em those two 580 and give them as a holiday gift.

PM me your addy and I have them gift wrapped for ya!

m
l
a c 83 Î Nvidia
November 14, 2010 11:28:03 PM

solidnickel said:

You realize this can always be said at any given time. There is always another card ready to be released. You just have to pull the trigger and realize that in a few months there is going to be something new, otherwise you will never buy a video card.
m
l
November 14, 2010 11:38:15 PM

FinalHunter said:
There is really only one good solution... Since 3 480s are going to bottle neck your CPU you need to invest in a 980x OC'd to about 4.5 ghz Liquid Cooled. Get a Nice MB 500$+, Sell off the 480's and then get quad sli 580's... Seems like the only reasonable solution.... What do you guys think?

Other Thoughts--- Pondering if Dual Xeon 980X would Diminish any sort of bottle neck?

funny.
m
l
November 21, 2010 11:10:34 AM

I went ahead and opted for a third GTX 480 for 300 dollars; basically bottlenecks most i7's

Now the decision comes down to what case to get, DarkFleet or AirBoy
m
l
!