Need sound card for headphones

cangle

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
I recently received the Miles Davis Tribute Headphones and have really enjoyed listening to them, but hope to get better sound out of them by getting a sound card for my PC. I have no budget range and basically just want the best sound card for headphones on the market. What should I get?

I also have a 2.0 speaker set up (M-Audio AV-40) on my desk, so if I could plug those in to the sound card as well as the headphones, that would be great.

Solution
^Not to be rude, but that's a bad choice for this scenario. Why would you get the D2X, which is based around 7.1 surround, when you could have a dedicated headphone (2.0 stereo) card, the Xonar Essence STX, for the exact same price?

Here's what I've found to be basically the best you can get - I put +Amp after cards that have a dedicated headphone amplifier. Hope it's easy to understand:
$50: Asus Xonar DS
$90: Asus Xonar D1(x)
$150: (surround): Auzen X-Meridian
$150: (headphone): Auzen X-Fi Forte +Amp
$190: (surround): Xonar D2(x)
$190: (headphone): Xonar Essence STX +Amp [Better if you don't plan on using a surround setup]
$240: HT Omega Claro Halo XT +Amp [Better if you want both headphone and surround support]

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
^Not to be rude, but that's a bad choice for this scenario. Why would you get the D2X, which is based around 7.1 surround, when you could have a dedicated headphone (2.0 stereo) card, the Xonar Essence STX, for the exact same price?

Here's what I've found to be basically the best you can get - I put +Amp after cards that have a dedicated headphone amplifier. Hope it's easy to understand:
$50: Asus Xonar DS
$90: Asus Xonar D1(x)
$150: (surround): Auzen X-Meridian
$150: (headphone): Auzen X-Fi Forte +Amp
$190: (surround): Xonar D2(x)
$190: (headphone): Xonar Essence STX +Amp [Better if you don't plan on using a surround setup]
$240: HT Omega Claro Halo XT +Amp [Better if you want both headphone and surround support]

Solution

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
Oh, wow, I just realized I didn't include the "XT" on my list up there. I'll clarify that some...

They're the same card. The Claro Halo XT comes with an extension board made for people running surround sound systems, since the actual sound card doesn't have all the outputs you'd need if you wanted to run an analogue 7.1 setup. Basically, it just gives you more outputs.