Modem and router compatible with Charter?

Lygchen

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
Hello,
I am a student living in Michigan and am planning to get charter for my 2 roommates and I. After speaking to a customer service representative, I was told we could rent a modem and router from them for $15 a month. I would prefer buying the two things myself. Could anyone recommend to me what model/brands I should by for a modem and router compatible with Charter?

lihuahellen

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010

In fact, the brand is not the most important for you. You had better learn how to set up connection.
I have set this up for friends several times. Connect the cable modem to the connection provided by your Internet Service Provider (ISP), and then use a regular network cable to connect the cable modem to the "WAN" port on your router. You will need to set up some configuration settings on the router, so you will need the installation guide that comes with it. You shouldn't need any additional software, but sometimes a router will come with an installation CD that will help you to set up the configuration for the router. Once the router is set up and connected to your cable modem, connect each PC to one of the LAN ports on the router.
Hope it works.