What is wrong with my computer? Help please

tomclarke1991

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010
hey over the last few days i have been building my own pc, i am having a problem, even with the drivers installed in the graphics card every time i turn the pc on the windows loading screen comes up and then the monitor disconnects. i can open windows 7 in safe mode or in normal by pressing F8 and selecting the really low resolution, this way i can disable the graphics card and it works normally even with high resolution.
i have tried installing drivers from the internet, backdating and from the CD supplied
each time i have made sure i have uninstalled the current drivers and CCC
im using a HDMI connection but tried other data cable connections
reintalling windows 7 64 bit
it is plugged in with two pci-e plugs and i returned the card once and got another one but with the same results
this is my set up and its all new.
the card im having problems is is the Sapphire HD 5850 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDMI Display Port Out PCI-E Graphics Card
im sure its all compatible
anyone got any ideas?

Item: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium - Licence and media - 1 PC - OEM - DVD - 64-bit - English

Item: Antec CP850 850W Modular PSU - *ONLY COMPATIBLE WITH ANTEC 1200 P183 AND P193 CASES*

Item: Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache

Item: Intel Core i7 950 3.06GHz Socket 1366 8MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor

Item: Asus P6TD Deluxe X58 Socket 1366 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard

Item: Corsair 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz XMS3 Memory CL9(9-9-9-24) for i7 motherboards

have not been able to boot the pc with the graphics card enabled with all the current drivers, after windows 7 start

thankyou in advance to anyone that might be able to help

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Could you specifiy the graphics card you have? It could be a corrupt install of the drivers. Use driver sweeper program to get rid of all the Nvidia drivers for your graphics card and try re-installing the drivers from fresh.

Failing that, try a full re-install of windows and see how the graphics card fares with NO drivers installed from NV, just the standard VGA graphics drivers that windows will give the card.

tomclarke1991

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010

hey tried the BIOS update and no luck sadly

tomclarke1991

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010

i mentioned it was the Sapphire HD 5850 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDMI Display Port Out PCI-E Graphics Card
i have used a driver sweeper and have re intalled windows 3 times, it will load up fine and then when it does its updates and wants to reboot it wont

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
This is strange indeed. The solutions must start going further afield. Is it at all possible to try your graphics card in a friends computer? This will be to isolate whether its truly the graphics card at fault or your system.

If the same problem occurs on another system that is known to work fine with its standard graphics card then you can safely say that its the graphics card. Thus it will be time to get onto Sapphire to exercise the warranty.