Gainward GT 240 1GB Performance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipinhot2

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
Ok, so i have done some scouting for a new computer and its arrived in good nic,

Specs:
Core: Athlon II X4 640 Processor 3.00GHz
Mobo: Asrock n68-gs3 ucc
Ram: DDR3 1333 4GB
GFX: Gainward GT 240 1GB DDR5
HDD: 500GB WD SATA II

Price $650

So i thought i got a great deal.

But im curious to find what competition the GT 240 1GB has, i have done some research and found alot on the 512MB versions but not so much on the 1GB Version to find my answer. I have read tho, that the difference between the two is a massive increase, and if you had to buy a GT 240, that the gainward 1GB is your best bet. Correct me if im wrong.

So where does it stand?
And is it worse, on par, or better than my EVGA 9800GTX+

Thanks heaps and any trusted links would be greatly appreciated!

your 9800GTX+ is way better than GT240. GT240 (GDDR 5 version) is on par with 9600GT in Geforce 9k series.

it's actually right below the 9600GT as well but the GT240 seems to run smoother... it's weird.
I still have the PNY GT240 DDR55 512mb version and i just got rid of my 9600GT.
i traded the 9600GT for ATi HD4670..
much better..

if you're going to compare those 2 card directly 9600GT should be a bit faster. i remember in some benchmark 9600GT still able to beat GT240 GDDR5 by slight margin. but roughly they are pretty much on par. btw i thought 4670 is on the same level as 9600GSO?

No offense but overall i would say you got a mediocre deal. If you think that paying basically street retail price for several year old components is a good deal then correct me but pretty much everything in the machine is less than spectacular, for the money i think you couldve built a much nicer one within the budget minus the video card which is pretty much scrap unless you plan on playing at low res. The least they could do was throw in a 1tb drive. Personally I wouldnt bother with the 240 unless your gaming needs are circa 2003.

pipinhot2

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
Well i wasnt going to spend a couple of days calculating deals on individual parts to have them arrive all over the show, so i just bought a whole tower, plus it was needed sooner than later so really the dollars aint bad.
(And its neither HP or Dell, It just a custom case with custom parts put in it on purchase)
If i was a millionaire i would buy a dell to throw it out a window. Im not stupid.

As well as the fact i would need to spend no more than $250 for a better Power supply and a decent graphics card. That could run anything at 1680x1050 fine.

The system as is, is fine for basic computing and occasional gaming.
I have played UnrealTournamentIII And MW2 (Maxed, No AA or FFA) and on this machine with no problems, actually held the frame-rate fine. Around the 35/50 on UT3 and 45/60 on MW2.

Take into consideration the Aussie dollar about a month ago when i bought this machine.

i see well that should be attainable (on the graphics end of things) I would shoot for something along the lines of a 5770 or better for your res, the good thing about the 5770 is that they run on a low psu so you could probly get a decent lower wattage one for around 50 bucks and the 5770 for 140, or if you can shell out a couple extra bucks the gtx 460 i gig seems to be a great value right now. so the 6850 is similarly priced and also a good value right now, really you have many viable options

and to malmental: dells are dells, never thought that they were a good value at all however its not like they are a total rippoff either. The thing that pisses me off is that when you go to change out some parts you have to bash the case to piece bc of there propritary brackets and bullshit that they include not to mention there owned branded version of windows with endless *** installes. I guess if you do a fresh os install and buy the machine with little intent on upgrading then its ok. Also the cases from my expirience have terrible airflow, and are very enclosed. Sorry to get off topic thats just my opinion.

Malmental:... Im sure your sad to hear prop nine didnt pass guess ill have to keep acquiring it through other means...

Status
Not open for further replies.