Rubbing & Whining noise - not drive or fan

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
February 28, 2005 1:12:42 PM

I have a rather uncommon notebook computer, VPR Matrix 1805b. It is about 3
years old. It is a great computer and up until recently I have had no
problems with it. However, a few weeks ago it started getting loud on
occasion (a whine like a bearing going out) and sometimes when you tilt the
computer, it sounded like the fan or the disk rubbing against its case
(awful), then it would wind down like it was generating enough friction to
stop it. Then it would start up again and the rubbing sound would be gone
but the whine still there. And sometimes if I turned off the computer for
about 5 minutes the whine sound would go away--at least for awhile.

I opened it up and tried unplugging the fan and the sound was still there,
so I assumed it was the hard disk, (although a hard disk diagnostic program
showed no problems). Well, I replaced the hard disk and the sound is still
there. I unplugged the fan again and the sound is still there.

I cannot find anything else in the computer that moves. It is very hard to
determine exactly where the noise is coming from but it seems to be loudest
at the fan housing even when the fan is unplugged. I used a wooden spoon
held against my ear for a stethoscope to try to trace the noise.

The computer has a Pentium 4M 1.7G CPU and a heat pipe that goes to the fan.
There is a metal piece over the CPU which the heat pipe is attached. So, I
assume there is no fan directly on the CPU.

I did note that the power plug for the fan on the circuit board is labeled
"Fan 1" which leads me to believe there is another fan, but I cannot find
one anywhere.

Does anyone have any ideas? Is there some other moving part I should look
for? Could there be two fans in the same housing? I can see the blades stop
rotating when I unplug the fan power but I can't see into the entire case
(it is shaped like a blower housing) and some of it is covered by the
computer case (I am accessing it by removing the keyboard).

Regards,
James
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 28, 2005 1:54:02 PM

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 10:12:42 -0800, "James Bott"
<jbottREMOVE@compuserve.com> wrote:

>I opened it up and tried unplugging the fan and the sound was still there,
>so I assumed it was the hard disk, (although a hard disk diagnostic program
>showed no problems). Well, I replaced the hard disk and the sound is still
>there. I unplugged the fan again and the sound is still there.

As the tappet brothers say, "don't anybody screen these calls?!!!"

Maybe it's haunted!

Two other items can make noise beside those two u mentioned. The
display's worn inverter, close the lid just to turn the display off
see wha happends. Or u left your onboard MIC open and it's doing
feedback from the speakers, stick a headphone in there see what
happends.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 28, 2005 3:33:54 PM

Bobb wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 10:12:42 -0800, "James Bott"
> <jbottREMOVE@compuserve.com> wrote:
>
>> I opened it up and tried unplugging the fan and the sound was still
>> there, so I assumed it was the hard disk, (although a hard disk
>> diagnostic program showed no problems). Well, I replaced the hard
>> disk and the sound is still there. I unplugged the fan again and the
>> sound is still there.
>
> As the tappet brothers say, "don't anybody screen these calls?!!!"
>
> Maybe it's haunted!

Or worse, possessed!

> Two other items can make noise beside those two u mentioned. The
> display's worn inverter, close the lid just to turn the display off
> see wha happends.

I have three options on the power setup for what happens when you close the
screen, standby, hibernate, or "do nothing." I set it for "do nothing" and I
tried partially closing the screen and the screen when black. The sound was
still there.

>Or u left your onboard MIC open and it's doing
> feedback from the speakers, stick a headphone in there see what
> happends.

Sound still there. It doesn't sound like feedback anyway.

Thanks for your ideas.

Perhaps I need an exorcist!

James
a b D Laptop
February 28, 2005 8:10:00 PM

James Bott wrote:
> Bobb wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 10:12:42 -0800, "James Bott"
>> <jbottREMOVE@compuserve.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I opened it up and tried unplugging the fan and the sound was still
>>> there, so I assumed it was the hard disk, (although a hard disk
>>> diagnostic program showed no problems). Well, I replaced the hard
>>> disk and the sound is still there. I unplugged the fan again and the
>>> sound is still there.
>>
>> As the tappet brothers say, "don't anybody screen these calls?!!!"
>>
>> Maybe it's haunted!
>
> Or worse, possessed!
>
>> Two other items can make noise beside those two u mentioned. The
>> display's worn inverter, close the lid just to turn the display off
>> see wha happends.
>
> I have three options on the power setup for what happens when you
> close the screen, standby, hibernate, or "do nothing." I set it for
> "do nothing" and I tried partially closing the screen and the screen
> when black. The sound was still there.
>
>> Or u left your onboard MIC open and it's doing
>> feedback from the speakers, stick a headphone in there see what
>> happends.
>
> Sound still there. It doesn't sound like feedback anyway.
>
> Thanks for your ideas.
>
> Perhaps I need an exorcist!
>
> James

From Power options, set the screen to go into standby after a minute or
so or diddle with the screen brightness Fn-F5 (or whatever). This will
power off the inverter, if that is the source of the noise. OTOH, I
initially had a squeal eminating from the ATI Radeon 9000 GPU on my
laptop that was fixed with the driver deinstall/reinstall.

a b D Laptop
February 28, 2005 9:56:46 PM

"James Bott" <jbottREMOVE@compuserve.com> wrote:
>I did note that the power plug for the fan on the circuit board is labeled
>"Fan 1" which leads me to believe there is another fan, but I cannot find
>one anywhere.

Are you sure you're unplugging the fan, or that you've found all the
fans there are? Sure sounds like fan noise to me...
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 28, 2005 9:56:47 PM

William P.N. Smith wrote:

> "James Bott" <jbottREMOVE@compuserve.com> wrote:
>> I did note that the power plug for the fan on the circuit board is
>> labeled "Fan 1" which leads me to believe there is another fan, but
>> I cannot find one anywhere.
>
> Are you sure you're unplugging the fan, or that you've found all the
> fans there are? Sure sounds like fan noise to me...

Well, I am sure I was unplugging A fan. However, I am embarassed to admit
there is another fan--I finally found it. I also found a forum for Matrix
computer users, and it seems that lots of these fans have gone bad with
symptoms simlar to mine. The strange thing is that it is a "magnetic
levitation" fan, which would seem to suggest that it doesn't even have a
bearing.

After several hours of work I managed to get my case open just enough to
pull out the fan. It had some lint in it which I pulled out, and I peeled
back the label to get to what is supposed to be the bearing end, but it
looked more like a metal plug. I oiled it anyway hoping that some would seep
around it to the bearing if it exists.

I just put it back together, and the whine is still there but not nearly as
bad. I cannot get the rubbing sound by tilting the computer. Time will tell.

Unfortunately, the fan is not made anymore. One of the other Matrix owners
thinks they have found a fan that will work as a replacement. If the sound
gets worse, I am going to contact them.

Thanks for all the ideas, everyone.

Regards,
James
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 28, 2005 9:57:51 PM

"James Bott" <jbottREMOVE@compuserve.com> wrote:
>Does anyone have any ideas? Is there some other moving part I should look
>for?

Floppy or CD-Rom drive?
!