Laptop g wireless, usb n wireless

ebirkavs

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
Hello,
i would like to ask if my laptops wireless speed would increase if i would put in a wireless usb n adapter into my laptop with integrated b/g wireless card?

G

Only if your router is wireless n -- and there can be issues between different brands, I believe. You'd probably have to disable your existing wireless adapter in Device Manager or using the Fn or physical switch.

Personally, I wouldn't bother -- the gains are probably less than you could make by optimising the existing reception. As follows:

1) raise the router above furniture level
2) Experiment with channels (some will work better or worse depending on your environment)
3) If you can detect strong neighbouring wifi, use a channel 5 stops away from strongest.
4) Relocate cordless phone base or video sender etc.
5) Be prepared to move the computer (or at least turn it so your body is not between the router signal and the wireless adapter's antenna.

ebirkavs

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
Only if your router is wireless n -- and there can be issues between different brands, I believe. You'd probably have to disable your existing wireless adapter in Device Manager or using the Fn or physical switch.

Personally, I wouldn't bother -- the gains are probably less than you could make by optimising the existing reception. As follows:

1) raise the router above furniture level
2) Experiment with channels (some will work better or worse depending on your environment)
3) If you can detect strong neighbouring wifi, use a channel 5 stops away from strongest.
4) Relocate cordless phone base or video sender etc.
5) Be prepared to move the computer (or at least turn it so your body is not between the router signal and the wireless adapter's antenna.

But the problem is, that i have 100Mbit/s internet access, but wireless g supports till 54Mbit/s if i get this corectly.

G

If you want to take full advantage of a 100 megabit internet feed, don't use wireless. -It's highly variable due to reception and interference issues and the technology inherently reduces your speed even with perfect reception.

Go wired.