You should try to optimise your reception and avoid interference.
1) raise the router above furniture level
2) Experiment with channels (some will work better or worse depending on your environment)
3) If you can detect strong neighbouring wifi, use a channel 5 stops away from strongest.
4) Relocate cordless phone base or video sender etc.
5) Be prepared to move the computer (or at least turn it so your body is not between the router signal and the wireless adapter's antenna.
September 15, 2010 3:44:55 PM
Tried all that but still getting "connection has timed out message". I tried again a few mins later it worked. Very frustrating as to why its so sporadic, especially when it works fine on roomates lap top. checked his settings and they are identical.
my best recommendation would be trying the troubled laptop in a free public wi-fi hotspot to check for similar behavior and changing or disabling your wireless security(disabling not something i would recommend) and finally making sure the wireless adapter has the latest drivers...