Sign in with
Your question

I have sporadic connection to internet

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Anonymous
September 15, 2010 3:07:19 PM

Hello,

I have a wirless router at home but my internet access is sporadic, internet is fine on otehr laptops but not mine. Is there some settings i need to change or is there a problkem with my wireless card
Anonymous
September 15, 2010 3:13:50 PM

You should try to optimise your reception and avoid interference.

1) raise the router above furniture level
2) Experiment with channels (some will work better or worse depending on your environment)
3) If you can detect strong neighbouring wifi, use a channel 5 stops away from strongest.
4) Relocate cordless phone base or video sender etc.
5) Be prepared to move the computer (or at least turn it so your body is not between the router signal and the wireless adapter's antenna.
Anonymous
September 15, 2010 3:44:55 PM

Thanks fihart,

Tried all that but still getting "connection has timed out message". I tried again a few mins later it worked. Very frustrating as to why its so sporadic, especially when it works fine on roomates lap top. checked his settings and they are identical.
Related resources
Anonymous
September 15, 2010 8:12:42 PM

Try turning off wireless security in the router temporarily and see if performance improves. Try changing wireless mode in the router from n to mixed mode.

If no improvement, try connecting an ethernet cable between the computer and the router.

If that improves things there may be an issue with your wireless adapter.
September 15, 2010 10:23:27 PM

my best recommendation would be trying the troubled laptop in a free public wi-fi hotspot to check for similar behavior and changing or disabling your wireless security(disabling not something i would recommend) and finally making sure the wireless adapter has the latest drivers...
!