Totally stuck with my geforce 460

donski

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2008
Hi having probs with my 460 when i play games every minute or so i get a black screen it hangs for a few seconds then games start up again plays for a minute or so then repeats sometimes after two or three blck screens it crashes to desktop. I have played star craft 2 no problems at all worst offenders seem to be first person shooters cod 4, just cause2, cod black ops,
Ihave tryed all the solutions suggest like disabling hd audio ect but still get same probs the wierd thing is if i run say haven bench mark it never crashes
wondered if anyone has any suggenstions i cont scan and they said the 460 i got migh have issues with other components i have in my system, when i pput my old 8800gts in every thing plays fine thanks for any suggestions im totally stuck

my system is wolfdale e8400
asus maximus forula x38
creative sb x-fi
4 gig ddr2-800 dominator
2 ssd intel 80 gigs in raid zero config

what power supply and driver version do you have? is it oc'ed?

donski

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2008
power supply crosair 750, no overclock, and when i put the 8800 gts back in everything plays perfect no crashes takes the 460 out no matter what i do get black screen freezes then crashes any ideas

Frizzo

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
what operating system? and what are you doing to clear the old drivers out when you are physically switching these cards in and out?

A corsair 750 should be more than adequate i would rma it or return it, bc then you can eliminate the scenario that your graphics card is causing this which it most likely is... has it ever worked properly? you say the 8800 works fine so don't overthink this one and its quite possible that you got a faulty 460 so i would rma or return it and get a new one.

donski

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2008
operating sytem is windows 7 64 bit and used the driver sweep process to get rid of all old drivers before installing new ones. the wierd thing is the haven demo never crashes it just games thats why i was so stumped thanks for ur help guys

wh3resmycar

Distinguished
faulty cards do happen in each of us. i'll have that rma'd since its the only thing that changed in your system.

and when a retailer says this:

and you're perfectly fine when you remove the hardware in question, you better give them a smack in the face.

ps. have you tried a different pcie slot?

donski

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2008
yeah latest drivers ect like i isad have tryed all the sugestion have read on the nvidia site that a lot of people with the gefore 460 have had exact same issue black screens then crashing

trev1976

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
I have had 2 brand new MSI GTX 460's and have had excatly the same problems as you , Im so annoyed now i cant be arsed to RMA again as it keeps costing me money to send it back

Id really like a fix for this , My previous 5770 and 4850 never had these issues

trev1976

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
Windows 7 64bit
Latest Nvidia Driver
650W Corsair PSU
ASUS P5Q-EM MB
8GB Ram
E5200 CPU

No OC applied to my GPU

Also ive tried everything to sort this and cant get it working

donski

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2008
totally sympathise wit u both i spent a month solid reasearching and trying to find a solution no joy totally suclks i thing some 460s have issues wit windows 7 64 bit as people who take same card in xp can get it working

vada

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010
well pleople i just installed my gtx 460 yesterday i installed the drivers ... and next time i booted up i dont get the logon screen so i go to safe mode uninstall drivers get new ones install them re boot... same problem... *** so i reverted back to xp pro and now its smooth no probs... so i think is most probably a driver problem if the rma dosent work tell nvidea on their website.. they will look into it they have the so-called 5-star service..

what a crock of *** that's terrible, shame on nvidia

vada

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010
actually that was s-h i dontthink nvidea is that bad but many others have no probs with divers and win 7... ny way m content with xp and now im stuck up with a new prob.. my cpu useage is always sitting at 50% during idle....

try older drivers. try the drivers that came with the card. try using windows update drivers. If all else fails take the card back and get an ati 6850. Similar performance and hopefully wont have the compatability issue your having.

vada

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010
dude u sound like an ati fan.. but m not so.. but xp is actually better for gaming... (afaimc) ans yes win 7 64 bit does have some issues.. keep it updated... nd it will b fine.. but now i play all my games maxed out..