Sign in with
Your question

A Big Fat Thank You!!!

Last response: in Systems
January 12, 2011 5:00:32 AM

Basically the title says it all.....:) 

I've been reading the forums and articles for almost a year and finally took the plunge and built my first system from scratch.

My son helped me with the build since he will be the primary user on the computer. He also provided a young set of eyes and steady hands for small spaces . It took us about four hours from the time we opened the box to have it sitting on his desk and installing Windows 7.

I don't think I could have managed the project without the help of all of you who posted information on these forums. So please accept my sincere gratitude for all the helpful comments and reviews.

Oh yeah...one last little thing. I was following the guide on assembling a computer and we got to the step where it said to install the hard drive.

"What's it look like Dad?"

"It's a small, flat metal box-like thing. No, that's the DVD drive. It's the other one."

"That's the only box-like thing we have. Unless it's this other thing, a Hyper 212".

Sure enough, after all this time and effort, when I ordered the parts I forgot to order a hard drive! Lucky for me, Best Buy was having a sale on Western Digital and I was able to pick up a 1TB Caviar Black for $89. Probably could have gotten it cheaper from New-egg, but I didn't want to have to wait yet another day to finish the project.

Athlon II X3 450
Asus M4A77TD motherboard
4G Gskill Ram
Hyper 212 cooler
WD Caviar Black 1TB hard drive
Samsung DVD
Rosewill Challenger Mid-Tower

I retained the monitor, keyboard, mouse and 5670 video card from his old computer. Next payday I'll upgrade the video card, probably an Nvidia 460 since I only intend one card in the system and upgrade the monitor about a month later.

Just wanted to share and say thank you!

Mark

More about : big fat

January 12, 2011 5:47:50 AM

You wouldn't happen to be welchs101's dad, would you? What a coincidence, since the parts you mentioned above are similar to the ones he's asking about. Minus the GPU of course. Anyway, congratulations on the build. Glad to know you're doing well.

BTW, make sure to get a reliable PSU if you're planning on using a GTX460. I'd say at least a 500W to be safe.
m
l
January 12, 2011 7:36:41 AM

damasvara said:
You wouldn't happen to be welchs101's dad, would you? What a coincidence, since the parts you mentioned above are similar to the ones he's asking about. Minus the GPU of course. Anyway, congratulations on the build. Glad to know you're doing well.

BTW, make sure to get a reliable PSU if you're planning on using a GTX460. I'd say at least a 500W to be safe.

Forgot to put that part in....Antec 550. One of the articles said that it would have sufficient power for a single-card setup.
m
l
Related resources
January 12, 2011 7:48:26 AM

^ Nice to hear that the build have come out well,...
Yes the Antec 550 would have enough power for the GTX 460,... Also just dont restrict your options to the GTX 460 alone, Nvidia is going to launch their GTX 560s, which I expect will replace the current 460 in its price range - ~$220 also ATI to counter it would reduce the prices of its HD 68xx and 69xx GPUs, so go for the one that give the best bang for buck,...
Good Luck,...
m
l
January 12, 2011 5:51:36 PM

Your welcome!
m
l
January 13, 2011 12:59:58 AM

Nice looking system, I didn't help you because I focus on intel builds but this is a great budget box
m
l
January 14, 2011 2:29:43 PM

mvlaplante said:
Basically the title says it all.....:) 

I've been reading the forums and articles for almost a year and finally took the plunge and built my first system from scratch.

My son helped me with the build since he will be the primary user on the computer. He also provided a young set of eyes and steady hands for small spaces . It took us about four hours from the time we opened the box to have it sitting on his desk and installing Windows 7.

I don't think I could have managed the project without the help of all of you who posted information on these forums. So please accept my sincere gratitude for all the helpful comments and reviews.

Oh yeah...one last little thing. I was following the guide on assembling a computer and we got to the step where it said to install the hard drive.

"What's it look like Dad?"

"It's a small, flat metal box-like thing. No, that's the DVD drive. It's the other one."

"That's the only box-like thing we have. Unless it's this other thing, a Hyper 212".

Sure enough, after all this time and effort, when I ordered the parts I forgot to order a hard drive! Lucky for me, Best Buy was having a sale on Western Digital and I was able to pick up a 1TB Caviar Black for $89. Probably could have gotten it cheaper from New-egg, but I didn't want to have to wait yet another day to finish the project.

Athlon II X3 450
Asus M4A77TD motherboard
4G Gskill Ram
Hyper 212 cooler
WD Caviar Black 1TB hard drive
Samsung DVD
Rosewill Challenger Mid-Tower

I retained the monitor, keyboard, mouse and 5670 video card from his old computer. Next payday I'll upgrade the video card, probably an Nvidia 460 since I only intend one card in the system and upgrade the monitor about a month later.

Just wanted to share and say thank you!

Mark

I agree. Great bunch of folks here.
m
l
!