Is my card still worth while?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

So I'm no stranger to technology, but lately I've been focusing on more Open Source alternatives to things (Linux) so I have focused away from my hardware roots. Anyhow I have a AMD Phonem II X6 1055T and paired with it a XFX 5850 Black Edition (I think it's at about a 10% overclock, I am really not sure) and I have started thinking I might re-attach my Windows 7 drive and install some games (I mostly play GTA IV and GTA LCS) but I am thinking on buying and installing COD Black Ops for my PC. I have another computer with a i5 750 and a GTX 460 SuperClocked (the 768MB version) and I am not sure what computer would be better as far as gaming is concerned.

I like my i5 with my Nvidia (for some reason Nvidia + Intel = Win... Always, IMHO) but I want to start using my AMD setup more (since it's quieter and runs a bit cooler, and the Wife hate's the fan noise from the Intel Setup). But I am wondering if my 5850 BE is still relevant with the introduction of the new 68XX series and even the newer competition from Nvidia.

I only play at 1080P on a 22" monitor so I don't think I need too much power to play with all the eye candy turned up and getting at least 50 FPS. Any advice on an upgrade path or if I should just be happy with what I have would be appreciated. I am not interested in putting my Nvidia card in my AMD system though. It seems like the 460 (even the superclocked) is inferior. But I could be wrong. If I remember right on a handful of tests the stock 5850 and the SuperClocked GTX 460 (768MB) were about even, so it would stand to reason the BE would be a bit ahead.

Thank's all in advance.

G

Then I'll run that configuration. It actually makes sense, thinking about it. Also, I failed to mention that I do quite a bit of video encoding (hence buying a 6 core, knowing they weren't really "designed" for gaming. They CAN, but a quad is better suited at the moment, I think.) so using a Nvidia card that can help the video encoding process via the cuda cores would probably be of great benefit. Also I am re-locating my Windows 7 drive and installing Ubuntu 10.10 64-bit onto this (AMD) system on a spare 1 TB drive I had laying about. So the gaming will remain exclusive to the Intel and the "Business" will be exclusive to the AMD for now. Thanks for the response.

Status
Not open for further replies.