Builders pack vs others win 7

xargon805

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
Can someone explain to me what the difference is between the builders packs of windows 7 and the full version is other than the price. I just build a new computer and I'm looking into putting it on. Also does anyone know if they have an educators discount on any version other than the upgrades.

Solution
System builder's = OEM. OEM licenses stay with the computer they are installed on... they cannot be transferred to a new computer. Retail versions come in a pretty box with manual and have MS support. With OEM, the system builder (in this case, you) is the support... no free support from MS. Retail licenses are also transferrable; meaning you can wipe out the old computer and install it on the new.
System builder's = OEM. OEM licenses stay with the computer they are installed on... they cannot be transferred to a new computer. Retail versions come in a pretty box with manual and have MS support. With OEM, the system builder (in this case, you) is the support... no free support from MS. Retail licenses are also transferrable; meaning you can wipe out the old computer and install it on the new.

Solution