Computer fails to detect CD ROM drive and internet connection.

m3pc

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
My computer did not detect the cd ROM drive and the internet connection also says that server not detected. i was using P1wimax modem which indicates that the connection is ok since all the 3 light are ON, furthermore the wiggy desktop linked to the p1 modem was of no problem connecting using another computer in the same house. It happens after i clean off the dust by vacuum cleaner.

i was using windows 2000, intel Pentium 4.20GHz, Realtex RTL8139, Phoenix Award BIOS v6.00PG and NVIDIa.

i hope my input info will be adequate to solve my case, thank you.

rozz

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2010
Check the device manager - do you see your cd-rom drive and NIC card on it? Do you see any "?" or "!" on any devices?

Are there lights on the NIC card where the Ethernet cables come in from the modem?

m3pc

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
Thanks for the feedback Rozz,

There is no mention neither of cd-rom drive nor NIC card on the device manager but the
light on the NIC card where the Ethernet cables come in from the modem lights well.

By the way I had found the problem for the internet connection after I found that I carelessly place the cable on the wrong connector, now after replacing it back, the connection is back to normal.

The thing now is my cd ROM drive missing from the screen and the computer sometimes restarting by itself.

I’m using the 128 MB of RAM.
Thanks, nice to have your feedback.

xpsng

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009
When you opened up your box for cleaning maybe you accidentally unpluged an I/O cable?

Try this. Boot up your computer and watch if the little green (usually) light on your Cd-rom flashes up. Then try opening it by pressing the button infront. If all that goes well then it means the power in it is still connected. So open it again and re-attach any cables that are loose.

m3pc

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
Yes thank you mr. xpsng,

I think i have to agree on your great suggestion - probably i accidentally unpluged an I/O cable while vacuuming it?

Initially i'll need to Boot up the computer and watch the little green light on the cd-ROM flashes up. Then i'll try to open it by pressing the button infront as you said. i havn't do this before. Anyway that is worth a try. If all of it goes fine then it means the power is still connected. Lastly open it again and re-attach any cables that are loose.

I'll give a feedback after settling it...tq