Starting a new Work-from-Home job and need rig help

3p0ch

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
I will be starting a new work from home job and need to upgrade my rig. Just going to go with a pre-built "bare bones" type and cannibalize my old rig for the HDD's and use the rest of it to replace my wife's obsolete pc. Here are the 2 I'm considering. Keep in mind that not only with this be my work PC, but my play rig that will see gaming as well as picture editing and video en/decoding.

1:Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4, Intel I-7 2600K, NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450 1GB, Corsair (2X2) DDR3 1600, 700Watt PSU, Xion Echo Gaming Case

2:GigaByte GA-X58A-UD3R, Intel I-7 950, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 SE 1GB, Corsair (3X2) DDR3 1600, 700Watt PSU, Thermaltake Element-T Mid-Tower Case

Both are within $7 of each other so the price isn't a factor. My main thing was going with either the newer CPU in #1 with a little less RAM and GPU power, or going with the older CPU but with a little more RAM and GPU power in #2. If it matters #1 will be liquid cooled while #2 air cooled. Both also come with a 500GB HDD and 24x DVD-RW DL drives.

3p0ch

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
#1 doesn't have to be liquid cooled, just the default selection that was a free upgrade that I didn't uncheck. #2 Could have the non-se GTX460. Also I can upgrade #1 to the GTX460 if I knock the PSU down to 600watts.

3p0ch

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
Yes they are pre-builts. Both under $1k. One from iBuyPower and the other from XtremeGear. I love building my own but time is kind of short and for the money these pre-builts are cheaper.

4745454b

Titan
The 2600K is much better then the 950. I seem to remember someone posting a chart showing the GTS450 OCed editions to be faster then the GTX460SE. You could OC rig 1 and have the better of both.

Another issue I see is the lack of PSU data. 700W from whom? Assuming its the same people that supply the case then option 2 becomes a better idea. Xion PSUs are junk, while ThermalTake can provide decent ones. I'd probably buy the first one, but replace the PSU assuming I got junk.

asteldian

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
I can guarantee that if you can spare 2 hours you can build yourself a computer as good if not better and with quality parts for the same price. The closest a prebuilt can ever come to a custom made one is same power for similar price (but with low quality parts)

But that aside, I would go with number 1, downgrade the PSu to 600W and get a GTX460 in it

3p0ch

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
I can build one in much less than 2 hours but I priced #2 on newegg for just the CPU/MOBO/GPU/RAM/Case to be in the range of the pre-build system that has all of that plus the PSU, HDD, DVD drive, and a warranty. If someone would like to build me a rig I would look at their specs. Must have a Gigabyte Mobo, Core I-7 CPU, EVGA nVidia GPU, 4+ gigs of DDR3 1600 RAM, 600+ Watt PSU, and at least leave $100 for a nice case and it must cost less than $800 but would prefer top cost $750. I more complete rig, including 500+ GB hdd, 24x DVD-RW DL drive, and upgraded heatsink for less than $1K.

3p0ch

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
Here is a quick system I put together on Newegg that costs a few dollars more than those pre-built systems but does not include the upgraded headsink, HDD, or DVD drive.

#3:COOLER MASTER Storm Scout, EVGA GeForce GTX 465 Superclocked 1GB, Antec EarthWatts 650W, CORSAIR XMS3 8GB (4 x 2GB) DDR3 1333, GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD4, Intel Core i7-2600K

I've also built one with a cheaper case and less RAM to bump up the GPU

#4:Antec Three Hundred, EVGA GeForce GTX 470 SuperClocked 1280MB, Antec EarthWatts 650W, OCZ Obsidian Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600, GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD4, Intel Core i7-2600K

All 4 are within $10 of each other. Only pre-built #1 and #2 come with HDD's, DVD drives, and upgraded heatsinks. #3 and #4 are from new egg and only include what is listed. Shipping is not included in any of them.

3p0ch

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
Updating this since I decided to go with this power supply (CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX), and this set of RAM (G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB).

Also looking into a different case. What do you think of these?

Antec Six Hundred
Antec Nine Hundred
Thermaltake V9 BlacX Edition with Docking Station
NZXT Digital Artic-Camo
XCLIO Nighthawk
XCLIO Godspeed
COOLER MASTER HAF 922
Rosewill ARMOR
RAIDMAX ICEBERG
ZALMAN Z9 Plus

I like the Antec cases because, well, they're Antec cases. The Thermaltake case has the dual dockinig station on top which is awesome as long as you have enough SATA connectors on your MOBO, which I should have. The NZXT case just looks awesome and the XCLIO are lit with nice led's which make them look great. The Cooler Master has great reviews, the Rosewill has a cool look to it. The Raidmax worries me about quaility, I had a bad experience with their PSU's, but it looks nice. Zalman is a trusted brand and the case is reasonably good looking.

My requirements for a case are: At least 4 internal 3.5" bays, at least 2, prefer 4, USB ports ON TOP of the case, be less than $100, and not look like a plain black box.

snowgoer1998

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2009
considering that this will be a "work" pc...what will it be used for?

I'm a firm believer that work and play should not mix on a pc...most of the time the rigs are at opposite ends of the requirement spectrum

If this PC is going to be your bread and butter there are a few things I'd take into consideration:

- Functionality

You need to have a computer built (yourself (if you build yourself, you may not be able to depreciate the cost) or prebuilt) to the requirements of the task

- Reliability

I want it to work and work and if a bomb is dropped on it, it smiles and keeps going

- Warranty

If said bomb works, how long before it's replaced?

- Backup Plan

If I'm dealing with sensitive information, how do i ensure I don't lose any of it if that bomb does work?

- Security

Ain't NO ONE logging onto or touching my work PC unless they would like 50,000 volts coursing through their veins.

- Cost (Payback/Depreciation)

As said earlier...it is easier to show Uncle Sam the Tax Man a recipt for a pre-built than it is to piece together a list of receipts that which make up what looks like a gaming rig.

3p0ch

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
They will not be mixed. My work will be contained on a completely separate HDD that will be swapped out after every shift and will be backed up daily just before it is swapped out. I'll keep it in my office lock box in an anti-static bag. As for reliability that is why I am buying only name brand products from a trusted vendor. As for warranty there will be the manufactures warranty on them plus if I need something replaced I can always over-night a part and just get get a refund for what is broken. Security is not much of an issue considering my connection to work will be through a VPN and will be monitored on both ends. As for cost, I'm not going to try to take this off my taxes considering it will also be a personal use rig and I just don't want to have to go through all that mess anyway.