Inspiron 8500 problems

sahtwiztid

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
I guess this is where i should put this buti have a dell inspiron 8500. Occasionally it would go through post and come up with disk read error press ctrl alt del to restart then it came up with the ntfs.sys file was missing. I manually reinstalled the ntfs.sys file from the recovery console and then got the error that another file which i cant remember the name of was missing. I dont have the recovery disks but i do have another inspiron laptop the 6000 model and they both run xp pro so i put that recovery disk in to see if a reformat with that disk would help and after i put the disk in the computer booted fine. i didnt run the recovery at all but it seemed to fix the problem. is there an underlying cause to all this like the hard drive is dying or does it sound like just a hiccup. any thoughts or recommendations are welcome and appreciated. Thanks

evilavatar

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
You probably have a virus or something that deleted the .sys file. Another thing that will do with is corruptions to your hard drive or badly written or improperly installed updates for specific devices or you computer in general.