Sign in with
Your question

Hp computer problem please help!

Last response: in Systems
January 12, 2011 2:21:04 PM

I was recently cleaning my sons HP computer with an air duster. I also removed the ram to see what type it was for an upgrade and then placed it back. I used the air duster throughout the case cleaning it. Once I started it back up it would power up but it is very loud, the fans are going very fast and no video output is coming out. Is there anything I can do to fix this? Thank you very much. I look like a jerk to my son but just wanted to help. Thank you very much in advance for all input. :hello: 

More about : computer problem

January 12, 2011 2:26:35 PM

Reseat the RAM and double-check nothing else came unplugged...
m
l
January 12, 2011 2:28:41 PM

sadams04 said:
Reseat the RAM and double-check nothing else came unplugged...

I have already checked the connecting but I will try to check the ram again. Is there anything else you recommend or any problems you think this would be?
m
l
Related resources
January 12, 2011 2:33:36 PM

Nah... Keep it simple. The only thing that changed was the RAM being removed then reinstalled, correct?
m
l
January 12, 2011 2:39:35 PM

sadams04 said:
Nah... Keep it simple. The only thing that changed was the RAM being removed then reinstalled, correct?

Yes, I just reseated the RAM and now it is working better but it is now making a beeping noise. Any Ideas? Still no video out put still but I am able to now turn it off from pressing the power button instead of unplugging it.
m
l
January 12, 2011 2:40:30 PM

I've had hp's for a long time and there are a couple things to look at. One, a lot of Hp's have a plastic housing that runs from the case slot to any area directly over the processor to try and direct heat away from the processor. If you have one make sure it is seated correctly in the slots and not moving or brushing against any fans. 2nd did you touch the video ard at all? I'd make sure that it is seated right as the onboard video tends to make the fans run more. A lot of the HP's have a special fan setup that will run when the computer is being used more heavily, if there is a lot of ambient dust in the case the fans will run more, turn the case on and stick a vacuum hose over the backside of the case fan vent. It might not get anything out, but sometimes it helps to clear any gunk that is in the fan housing. Also try very carefully oiling the fan with a drop (seriously this is enough). The case fans they put in are pretty decent most of the time ut they get gunked up fast and they are not really sealed so when you clean the case it is really easy to get crap caught around the bottom making them run really loud.
m
l
!