Replacing power connector on Dell laptop AC adapter

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
February 28, 2005 11:26:28 PM

I want to replace the connector that plugs into the Dell Latitude D600 (same as
on the D400, D500, and D800, as well as the Inspiron 8500 and 8600) rather than
buying a new power supply.

Does anyone know the part number or specs. for this connector and/or a place
that I can find one. It seems like an uncommon coaxial DC connector and it is
not available at places like Radio Shack.

Thanks
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 28, 2005 11:26:29 PM

you@somehost.somedomain (Barry) wrote:
>I want to replace the connector that plugs into the Dell Latitude D600

As near as I can tell, it's a 3-conductor connector, the inside and
outside of the shell are two different potentials, so it's going to be
Dell-specific. There's some communication between the laptop and the
power supply that tell the computer what the power capabilities of the
supply are...
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 1, 2005 3:20:33 AM

Sometimes eBay has a dead power supply offered for parts or repair. I have
been able to snip off the connector and solder it in place of the one I
needed to replace. That might work in this case.

TomC

"Barry" <you@somehost.somedomain> wrote in message
> I want to replace the connector that plugs into the Dell Latitude D600
(same as
> on the D400, D500, and D800, as well as the Inspiron 8500 and 8600) rather
than
> buying a new power supply.
>
> Does anyone know the part number or specs. for this connector and/or a
place
> that I can find one. It seems like an uncommon coaxial DC connector and it
is
> not available at places like Radio Shack.
>
> Thanks

a b D Laptop
March 1, 2005 7:35:18 AM

Radio shack has a very good selection of those, and it probably is just
a generic coaxial plug, if that's what it looks like.

Barry wrote:

> I want to replace the connector that plugs into the Dell Latitude D600 (same as
> on the D400, D500, and D800, as well as the Inspiron 8500 and 8600) rather than
> buying a new power supply.
>
> Does anyone know the part number or specs. for this connector and/or a place
> that I can find one. It seems like an uncommon coaxial DC connector and it is
> not available at places like Radio Shack.
>
> Thanks

September 30, 2010 7:43:57 AM

Be careful when working / soldering on motherboards. Without the proper equipment and grounded station/soldering iron; you can ruin the board. Shoot me an email if you need some professional help with the repair>
The Laptop Doctor > email: blueddiamondd@harbornet.com

PS> the cord can often be repaired...verses replaced, as the End Plug is NOT available as an after market part!
Thanks
Doc
April 10, 2011 3:31:59 AM

You buy the laptop adapter plug? This may be some special shops to
!