Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Gaming Spec

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
April 7, 2011 3:37:36 PM

Hi guys,

As you will see from the stats, this is my first post. I'd like to start by telling you all how awesome you are. Geniuses, revolutionaries, an' all the rest. This forum is amazing. I remember when I first visited this site many years ago, it was to check out the tutorials section. It was really cool then and can only be called supreme now, and with the new cool face lift I see before me, I can only believe the quality of posters will be the same. Okay, so now that the sucking up is over. Here is my question:

I want to upgrade or buy a used gaming PC, custom built. My current PC is a molehill amidst a world of Everests and Kilimanjaros. My PC, which I'm using right now is painstakingly slow - AMD Athlon 64 3200+, 2.01GHz, 1.12GB DDR PC3200 RAM, Asus A8N VM CSM motherboard with in-built graphics card. Needless to say, any sane minded person would request a change.

To the subject matter. My question et dilemma: I have a limited budget of about £200. Is an upgrade worth it, on what is an old socket 939 motherboard? Or is it best to buy a PC I've seen on a private ads site with the following specs -

Installed Ram 4.00GB
Processor: AMD Phenom 8650 Triple Core Processor
System Type 64bit Operating System
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate
275GB Hard Drive
Graphics: Nividia Geforce 9800GT
DVD RW Multi Recorder Disc Drive
7x USB Slots
MS, SD/MMC, CF/MD And XD/SM Card Reader Slots
Clear Side Panel With LED Blue Lighting (Aqua Gaming Case)
LED Blue And Red Lighting On Front Of The Case
Built In WiFi Adaptor
Logitech Wireless Keyboard And Mouse
Logitech Webcam USB
Wireless Logitech Keyboard
VGA-VGA Cable
VGA-HDMI Included Aswell (Gold Plated)

That is all the information I received from the seller, as the guy says he doesn't know much about PCs with the one on sale being his Dad's. Anyhow, he was willing to accept £180 from a previously stated price of £250. For me it's a godsend. But is the price worth it? I intend to run CAD programs with a few of the latest games on the new machine, something which my current PC can't even dream of.

I expect only the best answers. Thanks in advance.

More about : gaming spec

April 7, 2011 4:00:28 PM

Testing, Testing....Hellooo?
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 7, 2011 5:54:21 PM

For that low of money that is a great deal win 7 ultimate alone is 200-300 usd, i would take it for 180 pounds
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
April 7, 2011 5:56:15 PM

Levity said:
Hi guys,

As you will see from the stats, this is my first post. I'd like to start by telling you all how awesome you are. Geniuses, revolutionaries, an' all the rest. This forum is amazing. I remember when I first visited this site many years ago, it was to check out the tutorials section. It was really cool then and can only be called supreme now, and with the new cool face lift I see before me, I can only believe the quality of posters will be the same. Okay, so now that the sucking up is over. Here is my question:

I want to upgrade or buy a used gaming PC, custom built. My current PC is a molehill amidst a world of Everests and Kilimanjaros. My PC, which I'm using right now is painstakingly slow - AMD Athlon 64 3200+, 2.01GHz, 1.12GB DDR PC3200 RAM, Asus A8N VM CSM motherboard with in-built graphics card. Needless to say, any sane minded person would request a change.

To the subject matter. My question et dilemma: I have a limited budget of about £200. Is an upgrade worth it, on what is an old socket 939 motherboard? Or is it best to buy a PC I've seen on a private ads site with the following specs -

Installed Ram 4.00GB
Processor: AMD Phenom 8650 Triple Core Processor
System Type 64bit Operating System
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate
275GB Hard Drive
Graphics: Nividia Geforce 9800GT
DVD RW Multi Recorder Disc Drive
7x USB Slots
MS, SD/MMC, CF/MD And XD/SM Card Reader Slots
Clear Side Panel With LED Blue Lighting (Aqua Gaming Case)
LED Blue And Red Lighting On Front Of The Case
Built In WiFi Adaptor
Logitech Wireless Keyboard And Mouse
Logitech Webcam USB
Wireless Logitech Keyboard
VGA-VGA Cable
VGA-HDMI Included Aswell (Gold Plated)

That is all the information I received from the seller, as the guy says he doesn't know much about PCs with the one on sale being his Dad's. Anyhow, he was willing to accept £180 from a previously stated price of £250. For me it's a godsend. But is the price worth it? I intend to run CAD programs with a few of the latest games on the new machine, something which my current PC can't even dream of.

I expect only the best answers. Thanks in advance.

A gt 9800 is still a good card will play most games med-low settings but for that kind of money you cant beat it you need to make sure the pc runs, also see if they have the windows 7 disk so when you get it you can reformat it and start over. The thing about a used computer is you never know what they did with it.
m
l
April 7, 2011 6:06:12 PM

It may be good for the price. But, what are my options for an upgrade? Does it take an AM2 or AM3 socket?

Upgrade is what it's all about. Any other question I should ask?

PS I may be able to lower the price.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 7, 2011 6:13:22 PM

The current cpu is a AM2+, I dont know what board it has in it so I cant tell you what you can and cant upgrade i need to know the motherboard. It could be a am2+/am3 board or mabye it has the bios update for am3 cpus. The best am2+ cpu IMO is the phemon 2 x4 940 but its high watt so it may or may not work. I need to know more.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 7, 2011 6:15:02 PM

Levity said:
It may be good for the price. But, what are my options for an upgrade? Does it take an AM2 or AM3 socket?

Upgrade is what it's all about. Any other question I should ask?

PS I may be able to lower the price.

If you can lower the price more I would take it Asap. But is there a reason why the price is so low. Mabye it has major issues/virsus's, or a number of other issues.
m
l
April 7, 2011 6:21:41 PM

Just called the guy. No, he doesn't have Windows 7 disk.

He sounds like a complete novice. Says the OS is in-built; "can be reformatted if you press F1....blah blah". Either he knows something I don't or he's telling complete porkies. Says it played GTA Ballad without any freezing/issues on full settings. I find it hard to believe, as cia24, most likely to be right, alluded to seamless gameplay on med-low settings.

What do I do? I'm inclined to just build my own with better specs and make it upgradable/overclock(able).
m
l
April 7, 2011 6:24:14 PM

cia24 said:
If you can lower the price more I would take it Asap. But is there a reason why the price is so low. Mabye it has major issues/virsus's, or a number of other issues.

Says he's not willing to drop the price. Enlightened by the Windows 7 story, I'm quite willing to just let it go and build my own instead.

m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
April 7, 2011 6:34:54 PM

I would a I dont understand why it only has a 200gb hdd in it lol, most people but a 500gb at least, I would walk away this sound fishy to me if you want help building a good computer for cheap that is upgradable feel free to pm me and we can work on it together.
April 7, 2011 6:36:23 PM

Best answer selected by Levity.
m
l
April 7, 2011 6:40:10 PM

cia24 said:
I would a I dont understand why it only has a 200gb hdd in it lol, most people but a 500gb at least, I would walk away this sound fishy to me if you want help building a good computer for cheap that is upgradable feel free to pm me and we can work on it together.

Thanks. Really appreciate the help. Will definitely pursue the self-build.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 7, 2011 8:25:16 PM

IT better this way get an idea of what you want to watch sales like a hawk lol.
m
l
April 7, 2011 9:32:33 PM

cia24 said:
IT better this way get an idea of what you want to watch sales like a hawk lol.

Where do you recommend to keep a lookout? I'm a self-build virgin, so I know of very few places that do cheap components. I usually prowl about on Ebay to look out for used components from high rated sellers.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 7, 2011 10:24:55 PM

your out of the usa so idk i used newegg/tigerdirect/frozen cpu
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 7, 2011 10:53:31 PM

I can help you on the UK side buddy, as im also on the correct side of the pond, best component sites, are, Aria, Scan or Overclockers, when im looking to buy new components these are usually the sites i look at first. For example here is a good CPU, Motherboard, RAM bundle for just £190, which would give you a really good starting point.

https://www.aria.co.uk/Systems/Bundles/AMD+Overclocked+...
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 7, 2011 10:59:55 PM

So what id do is put up with your old system for now and slowly build up your new system as and when you have the money saved.

So get the bundle above first then next buy a case and decent psu, something like an Antec 300 with an Antec 600w psu, after that save for your Hard Drive and Optical drive plus Windows 7, which means you will be able to put it all together and install the OS, finaly save for a decent mid range graphics card, like a 6870 or GTX560ti.
m
l
April 7, 2011 11:14:58 PM

I'd say that you should go for this.
At £200, which I think is around $350, you are not going to find a faster computer. You can get windows 7 for $100, and get a nettop for $250, but that will have an Atom and an Integrated graphics card along with 2gb of ram or so. If you try and build your own and skimp on every single part, you still won't have a faster machine that this one.
Either save up more money, or purchase this good deal.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 7, 2011 11:16:36 PM

So your list is

https://www.aria.co.uk/Systems/Bundles/AMD+Overclocked+...

AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition Processor @ 3.80GHz, MSI 880GM-E41 Micro-ATX Motherboard, 4GB (2x2GB) Mushkin DDR3 1333MHz Silverline, Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus CPU Cooler. = £189.95

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Cases/MIDI+T...
https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Power+Suppli...

Antec 300 Three Hundred Gaming Midi Tower Case - Black = £46.99
600W Corsair Builder Series 600CX Power Supply = £51.95

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Hard+Drives/...
https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Blu-Ray+%2F+...
https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Software/Operating+Syst...

1TB Samsung HD103SJ SpinPoint F3 SATA-II 3.5" Hard Drive = £39.36
Samsung SH-S223C 22x Internal DVD±R/RW SATA Drive - Black = £13.98
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - OEM = £75.59

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials/Other+products/XFX...

XFX ATI Radeon HD 6870 GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card with FREE Shogun 2 Game = £159.95

Total System cost = £577.77

And thats for a system that will play any modern game with ease, has a cpu thats already pre-overclocked to 3.8ghz, has a motherboard that will take all current AMD cpus including there 6 core thubans, meaning you have an easy upgrade path. Yes you will have to wait while you save but trust me from personal experience i can honestly say its worth it, plus will give you the pleasure and knowledge of building your own system.
m
l
April 7, 2011 11:40:33 PM

The computer has a smaller hard drive because the computer is older. The 9800 gt and 8650 were released back in 2008, and hard drives were smaller then.
If you are going to build your own computer, that's a good decision, but I would definitely not purchase anything until you have all the money you need to buy the components all at once. Once you have that money, come back here as there may have been new CPUs/GPUs/prices.
m
l
!