Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Power Supplies
  • Gateway
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics Cards
November 13, 2010 12:49:47 AM

I just posted on a couple old threads related to upgrading the Gateway SX2800-01 PC for better graphics, but both threads were inexplicably closed by mousemonkey with no solution. So I'll try again. If there is something offensive in this query I'd be happy to change it, but most of all I'd like some advice:

Since any decent graphics card requires far more wattage than what the Gateway SX2800-01's p/s can touch, I'm considering using an external power supply - just parking a larger power supply on the desk outside the chassis and running the power cables into the box.

I'm assuming power cable length will be the biggest issue there (along with desk aesthetics, which I don't care about,) but is there any reason why hooking up an external supply wouldn't work? I'm thinking it would allow for any wattage, therefore limiting my video card choice only to the available chassis space for that. I would even consider leaving the side panel off the chassis to accomodate a card that's otherwise too wide (or tall, depending on how you look at it.)

This is obviously an unorthodox idea - I suppose most rational people would just transplant the whole system to a new box - but is there any reason why it wouldn't work?

Secondly - If I'm using an external power supply and therefore wattage is no object, what's the best video card that would still fit into a Gateway SX2800-01 chassis and function properly?

Thanks in advance for any information anybody can provide. I already owe you beer.

More about : gateway sx2800 graphics power supplies

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
November 13, 2010 1:51:28 AM

I know someone who did that once for a server of his. Worked fine. It was a slimline dell pc and he didn't want to pay for a specialized psu for that comp, so he had a Thermaltake with the cables running through a hole in the back of the case.

As for the card, it looks like it will have to be a low profile card to fit in that case. I doubt the length will matter but it wouldn't hurt to double check. You could go up to a 5750 (best low-profile card), but something like a 5670 or 5570 would be more reasonable and not as overpriced for the low-profile feature.
a c 332 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
November 13, 2010 2:14:02 AM

avantgardedog said:
I just posted on a couple old threads related to upgrading the Gateway SX2800-01 PC for better graphics, but both threads were inexplicably closed by mousemonkey with no solution.

Do you mean those dead threads that you necro'ed and tried to hijack?
Score
Related resources
November 13, 2010 10:17:39 PM

Best answer selected by avantgardedog.
Score
a c 332 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
November 14, 2010 9:58:01 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score