Sign in with
Your question

First time

Last response: in Systems
January 12, 2011 3:32:56 PM

Hi everyone, let me start by saying a few words about myself having recently become disabled I find myself with alot more time than money. I do have some electonix schooling but it was more than 30yrs ago i.e. my exp. replacing vacumn tubes probaly doesn't help me alot nowadays.as my first build I would like to replace my wifes dell GX280 pentium 4, that I bought refurbished 2yrs ago She mostly uses her computer for attempting to write a novel,geaneology research,and watching movies on netflix. The dell is so loud you can here it two rooms away and when she plays her scrabble game the durn thing sounds like its going to jump off the desk.so basicly what I'm asking what sort of setup would meet her needs and provide me with much needed experiance and Knowledge.please remember that I'm a cherry and keep your answers simple!Thanx for taking the time to read my Question.

More about : time

January 12, 2011 3:54:23 PM

Apologies, but what do you mean by disabled? Does it mean that you're unable to use your hands? Or any other type?

I can suggest a basic and specific parts if you want to. But if you're the DIY type, which means you can use your hands, I can give you alternatives and description for each parts, so that you can decide for yourself.

Sorry if I offended you in any way.
m
l
a c 84 B Homebuilt system
January 12, 2011 4:40:48 PM

We're missing some important factors in helping you pick a good build. Mainly a budget. If you're looking to spend under $500 (with OS), you should be looking at a prebuilt from Dell. If you've got more than that, you can start looking at building it yourself.

Also, what parts do you already have? I assume you have a monitor, keyboard and mouse, but unless they're somewhat recent (the monitor supports HDMI, the mouse/keyboard use USB ports), you might need to replace them.

I'd check out the guidelines from the link in my signature for the information we usually ask for. It would also help to know more about the intended uses, though it looks like just basic tasks (word processing, web surfing). I'm thinking you should be looking at an i3/H55 build (the CPU and board). Off the top of my head:

CPU/motherboard: i3-530 and H55 board $200ish
RAM: Corsair XMS3 2x2 GB DDR3 1600 mhz CAS Latency 9 $40 after rebate
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB $70 (you don't save much be going smaller here)
PSU: Antec Earthwatts 380W $50ish
Case: Something she likes. Probably $50-75
Optical drive: Cheapest SATA DVD burner. $20 or less
Operating System: Windows 7 Home 64-bit OEM $100

Total: $530, possibly lower depending on exact parts and current deals.
m
l
!