Sign in with
Your question

Updating Radeon 9000 Series Driver

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 13, 2010 1:33:54 AM

Hello--

I need some help please. I need to update my Radeon 9000 series graphics card. I researched how to find the version but I am coming up
with 2 different versions.?!??? HELP...IM GOING MAAADDDDD
The following places is where I found them. Can someone please tell me which one is the correct one so that I can update my driver. Thanks.

1ST PLACE: [DRIVER VERSION: 8.231.0.0]
DISPLAY PROPERTIES
Adapter Type: RAD 9000 series (under that theres)
Adapter Info:
Chip Type: Rad 9000 series AGP (0x4966)
DAC Type: Internal DAC(400 MHz)
Memory Size: 64MB,
BIOS Info: BK-ATI VER008.004.010.000 (from there I clicked on the )Properties Button:
Info under GEN Tab: RADEON 9000 Series,
Device Type: Display Adapters,
Manufacturer: ATI Tech, Inc,
DRIVER Tab: Rad 9000 series,
Driver Provider: ATI TECHNOLOGIES, INC
Driver Date: 2/21/2006,
Driver Version: 8.231.0.0,
Digital Signer: MS WINDOW Hardware Compatibility Publisher.
Then there are four buttons: Driver details, Update, Rollback, Uninstall.

2nd place: [DRIVER VERSION: 6.14.10.6601]
SYSTEM INFO
Adapter Type: RAD 9000 series,
Adapter Ram: 64MB,
Installed Drivers: ati2dvag.dll,
Driver Version: WHICH IT IS A DIFFERENT NUMBER THAN THE OTHER ONE ITS: 6.14.10.6601,
INF File: oem3.inf (ati2mtag_RV250 section)
Driver: c:\windows\system32\drivers\ati2mtag.sys (6.14.10.6601, 1.44 MB (1,505,792 bytes) 1/10/2008 10:43 AM..
Under that there is info for SECONDARY DRIVER

3rd place: [DRIVER VERSION: 6.14.0010.6601]
DIRECTX DIAGNOSTIC TOOL
DISPLAY TAB:
Device: Name: RAD 9000 sereis,
Manufacturer: ATI Tech, Inc,
Chip Type: Radeon 9000 Series AGP (0x4966)
DAC Type: Inaternal DAC (4000MHz),
Memory: 64MB
Current Display Mode: 1024x768(32 bit)(75Hz),
Monitor: SyncMaster 920NW/920LM.
Drivers: Main Driver: ati2dvag.dll,
Version: 6.14.0010.6601,
Date: 2/21/2006,
WHQL Logo'd: Yes,
Mini VDD: ati2mtag.sys,
VDD: n/a,
DDI Version: 9(or higher).

4th Place: [DRIVER VERSION: 8.231.0.0]
DEVICE MANAGER:
RADEON 9000 SERIES PROPERTIES
Device Type: DISLAY ADAPTERS
Manufacturer: ATI Tech
Driver Provider: ATI Tech
Driver Date: 2/21/2006
Driver Version: 8.231.0.0
Digital Signer: MS WIN Hardward Compat Publisher

Thanks a bunch in advance
Oh, one other thing. Is there a tool that can help analyze my drivers and help maybe with the installing of it as well. But for free?? Its greatly appreciated. I'm dying to play Second Life and can't really enjoy game til I get this driver thing straightened out.

Thanx

November 13, 2010 3:34:41 AM

The exact model of your card should be written on the card.
Related resources
November 13, 2010 6:59:43 PM

EXT64 said:
Try GPU-Z: http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

OK...I will give it a try and report back to let ya know if it worked..Thanks so much. So far you are the only person that has given me some type of an answer. :hello:  I'm so anxious :bounce:  to play Second Life and can't really enjoy it with what I have right now. So thanks again>
November 13, 2010 7:31:45 PM

mosox said:
The exact model of your card should be written on the card.

Hi mosox...

I know the model of the card its a Radeon 9000 series. Its the driver Im looking to update to the latest version. But first Ive got to figure out which version out of the two that I've found is the correct one.
It's either version ""8.231.0.0 date: 2/2006"" or ""version 6.14.10.6601 with two dates: 2/2006 & 1/2008"".
I'm thinking it's the 8.231.0.0 one.

Anyways, it's been like four years since Ive updated it. So I'm thinking theres got to be a more recent or newer version for my video card, no :heink:  ? I would like to update it and figure this out asap because theres a game
I want to play :bounce:  its "Second Life" :bounce:  and it had made a coment regarding my graphics card so maybe Im hoping that if I update to the most latest version all be solved.

If not, then Ive got to dish out some cash for a new one :cry:  . And thats gonna be a whole other problem for me...lol...which one, type, brand......lol...well I will deal with that if and when Ive got to cross that bridge.
But thanks again for your response :hello: 
November 14, 2010 2:28:15 AM

EXT64 said:
GPU-Z will tell you exactly what card you have.

Once you know that, go here: http://www.amd.com/us/Pages/AMDHomePage.aspx

And fill in the Pull-down Menus under "Download Drivers" with the info.

EXT64...

:bounce:  :hello:  Woohoo...Thanks so so much!! That was easy as pie EXT64. And it was version 8.231.0, like I thought it might be but wasn't really sure. And its good to be sure ya know...lol.. :lol: 
Thanks so much again. I really do appreciate it. :love:  Dam I wish everything was that easy.... ;) 
November 14, 2010 2:41:07 AM

Glad it helped.

Did it fix the problem you were having though?
November 14, 2010 3:19:36 AM

EXT64 said:
GPU-Z will tell you exactly what card you have.

Once you know that, go here: http://www.amd.com/us/Pages/AMDHomePage.aspx

And fill in the Pull-down Menus under "Download Drivers" with the info.

Yes it did...i know what the darn version number is now at least.. :lol:  Now i just gotta go and download from amd.com
But i am a bit hesitant because it says that you have to uninstall your old one. Which I know how to do that in ADD/remove. My question is this: Can i just 'disable' the old one before uninstalling it just to make sure that the new one is better than the old. Just in case there are problems?? Im doing this because I would like to play the game "Second Life" and when im in this game its lagging and it just doenst feel right.

I mite just have to get a new one. But just thought Id update old driver version first to see if that works.

What are your thoughts or suggestions?? :heink: 
November 14, 2010 3:21:55 AM

EXT64 said:
Glad it helped.

Did it fix the problem you were having though?

Oops I replied to the wrong gosh darn response ...lol... :pt1cable:  :lol:  :whistle:  its like 12:30 am here and Im still
screwing around with this puter... :lol: 
November 14, 2010 3:23:51 AM

It depends, I have done both. In general though, if you are just updating the driver (not changing or replacing the GPU) it is fine to download the new driver and install it with the old driver still in place. As you mentioned, that also gives you the ability to roll back the driver if need be. If any problems arise (or the driver doesn't install correctly) you can always just uninstall both drivers and start from scratch.
November 14, 2010 4:01:51 AM

EXT64 said:
It depends, I have done both. In general though, if you are just updating the driver (not changing or replacing the GPU) it is fine to download the new driver and install it with the old driver still in place. As you mentioned, that also gives you the ability to roll back the driver if need be. If any problems arise (or the driver doesn't install correctly) you can always just uninstall both drivers and start from scratch.

Ok, that is what I will do then. :bounce:  Thank you so much for your help, I truly appreciate it. :hello:  I am probably going to save this project for tomorrow though. I need a break...lol.. I will keep ya updated and let ya know if I had any problems or not. :ouch:  I mean I really shouldn't, afterall, this isn't brain surgery :lol:  But I'm still going to keep
my fingers crossed..lol..
!