Bobbles13

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
Hello everybody,
I have never built a computer before, and I really want to, so I have some parts put together from Newegg that I want to be checked on. The type of computer I'm building is going to be meant for gaming, but I don't have a video card yet because the graphics chip on the motherboard I chose should be enough for the games I have now.

Approximate Purchase Date: Next Month
Budget Range: $600-800
System Usage: Gaming
Parts Not Required: Keyboard, Monitor, Mouse
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg
Country of Origin: US
Parts Preferences: Any
Overclocking: Maybe
SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Okay, so here's the parts:
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 4 x
ASUS M4A88T-V EVO/USB3 AM3 AMD 880G HDMI USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply
Western Digital AV-GP WD5000AVDS 500GB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal AV Hard Drive -Bare Drive
ASUS Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 24X DVD Burner
Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

I'm also taking suggestions on other parts, so feel free to say your opinion on this. (I'm trying to keep it around $600-$800 without monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc.)

The only two glaring errors I saw were:
1, the motherboard limits the PCI-e slots to X16X4 for crossfire. This is only a problem if you plan on a second video card.
2, I would recommend getting the 1TB version instead of the 500GB HDD, its not that much more and twice the capacity. go with either the WD CAviar Black or a Samsung Spinpoint F3.

Good Luck!

Bobbles13

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011

Right now I'm not too worried about the hard drive because I don't think I need that much space yet, but thanks for pointing out the motherboard issue. The thing is I don't know much about crossfire :( . Would you mind explaining it a little? I don't really know what the X16X4 is. Thanks!

With one graphics card in a PCI-e slot, it will run at X16. basically 16 lanes of bandwidth.

Crossfire is an AMD(ATI) technology that lets you use more than one graphics card to increase performance.

Since Crossfire is an AMD technology, it can only be implemented with AMD(ATI) graphics cards, and usually with two of the same card.

With a crossfire board that limits the second PCI-e slot to X4, the second graphics card will only run with a bandwidth of 4 lanes, thereby limiting any possible performance increase, and crippling the performance of the second graphics card. :eek:

If you are getting an Nvidia based card, then the preceding does not apply, because you cannot crossfire two Nvidia cards.

Bobbles13

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011

Oooh, okay that really helped clear things up. Thanks a lot for all the help!

TRENDING THREADS