Hi, I have 8gb (2x4gb) Patriot Gamer 2 Series 1600Mhz RAM. The RAM speed is 1600Mhz, timings are 9-9-9-24 and the voltage is 1.65v. I set it all to 1600mhz, 9-9-9-24 and decided I would shoot for 1.5v since I am using an SB system. With Windows Memory Diagnostic everything ran stable @ 1.5v. Running this memory @ 1.5v shouldn't hurt it though, right? I would not think running at lower voltages would matter, I would actually think it would prolong the life-span. Could someone tell me if running 1.65v memory modules @ 1.5v would damage them?

Thanks. :)

Solution
Running at lower voltages won't damage the ram. I can't say it would extend the life 100% but I would think it would keep the temps lower and help make the memory work for a longer period of time. You might also find that over time you need to bump up the voltages a bit as the memory wears in. I am doing the same thing with my set of ram. I run memtest86 to see what I can get down to while still being 100% stable to increase life and lower heat. Then run prime95 to see if you have any issues there. Those 2 should point out any issues with the ram at 1.5 v.
Those modules aren't made for running at their rated speeds and the lower voltage of 1.5v. Run memtest86 with all sticks and each stick individually. If you pass everything then boot up and run some stability benchmarks. I don't benchmark much so I can't recommend what to try.

You are essentially trying to run a car at 100m/h while decreasing its horespower considerably. It might work, it might not but I don't think it will damage the modules to try running at lower voltages. If you fail any tests or BSOD repetitively then you just reset the voltage to 1.65 and see if the RAM caused it. If so then you know that you can't lower the voltage without lowering either it's latencies or it's clock rate.

Thanks, that is what I figured. I ran Windows Memory Diagnostic with 20 passes and there were no errors or blue/black screens. Then I ran BF:BC2 for a bit and SC2 with 8 players on the map to stress the memory. Seems stable, just wanted to make sure I wasn't hurting the memory by lowering the voltage. I think it should expand the life if anything, but wanted to get reassurance.

Running at lower voltages won't damage the ram. I can't say it would extend the life 100% but I would think it would keep the temps lower and help make the memory work for a longer period of time. You might also find that over time you need to bump up the voltages a bit as the memory wears in. I am doing the same thing with my set of ram. I run memtest86 to see what I can get down to while still being 100% stable to increase life and lower heat. Then run prime95 to see if you have any issues there. Those 2 should point out any issues with the ram at 1.5 v.

Solution

Okay, cool. I think I am set then. But I will download prime95 anyway and test it.

Yes, Run Prime 95.
On voltages - You might set it to 1.55V (max Intel spec is 1.575 for a SB CPU). I have my DDR3 at 1.60, slightly above the max spec. Memory is DDR3-1600 CL 7 Ripjaws which has a spec of 1.60 V.

As long as you are stable you should be OK as Lower is generally better, upto a point. ie Intel spec min For SB is 1.425, I Think.

Thanks, I haven't really got to test it with Prime for over 15 minutes yet because I ended up needing to use my computer for school, but for the 145 it ran it ran okay. I am going to test it for 45 minutes later and if it passes I will call it good because I already tested it with BF:BC2, SC2, and WMD. (Not weapons of mass destruction, that would be bad, haha)

Just a caution - Monitor temps, prime 95 will run your cpu cores HOTTER than games. Majority of temp increase will occure with in 5->15 mins, if looks good can just check periodically.

I did not see a 3rd party HSF in your config. If using Intel stock HSF expect temps in mid 70's to upper 70's Max is mid 90's at which time the CPU will start to throttle back to pervent self distruction.

Mybe they should have disabled self protection in US drones and make them self distruct upon signal.

Yes, I have a Core temp handy along with Task Manager to see what the temps are and memory is being used. I get around 70+/- a few degrees. I am only using a stock cooler right now.

You might be interested in an aftermarket cooler if temps get to high for your liking. They Hyper 212+ is around $20 if I remember correctly and should provide much better temps than the stock. I own one myself on my 125w Phenom II and it runs cool, your CPU uses less electricity and should do even better.

Yeah, I am planning on a corsair h60 water cooler. Hoping for Christmas! I think it should do the trick.