Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

VPA 3.62c and BGI

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 9:48:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.vga-planets (More info?)

Sorry but I run the vpa whith option /bgi the see follow mex

"vpa 5 ironforge /bgi:svga256,0,1"

cut and paste --------
Press any key to continue...
Using custom BGI driver: svga256/0/1
Graphics initialization failure

Writing ironforge\HCONFIG.INI...
--------

and exit by VPA.

The svga are the Borland Turbo Pascal, and I run DEMOVGA.EXE with
svga256.bgi the program is good.

P.S. sorry for my bad english
P.P.S. my sk video (notebook) are SIS 650

More about : vpa 62c bgi

Anonymous
April 27, 2005 11:22:21 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.vga-planets (More info?)

delQuesto wrote:
> Using custom BGI driver: svga256/0/1
> Graphics initialization failure

Why do you want to use that driver? What about "vpa /s"?

Otherwise, the syntax is "/BGI:D RIVER,DIRECTORY,MODE", and I doubt you
have the driver in a directory ".".

> The svga are the Borland Turbo Pascal, and I run DEMOVGA.EXE with
> svga256.bgi the program is good.

Borland Pascal doesn't have a "svga256.bgi", so it would be interesting
to know which one you use. The one built into VPA is by Ullrich von
Bassewitz, so if your's is the same model, there's no need to play with
"/BGI".


Stefan
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 5:30:33 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.vga-planets (More info?)

Sorry for time delay

Stefan Reuther ha scritto:
> delQuesto wrote:
>
>>Using custom BGI driver: svga256/0/1
>>Graphics initialization failure
>
>
> Why do you want to use that driver? What about "vpa /s"?

When I use vpa /s my vpa.exe is frezen (block) with sk video SIS and sk
video ATI (other computer)
>
> Otherwise, the syntax is "/BGI:D RIVER,DIRECTORY,MODE", and I doubt you
> have the driver in a directory ".".
>
the driver are in directory VPA.exe and subdir game
>
>>The svga are the Borland Turbo Pascal, and I run DEMOVGA.EXE with
>>svga256.bgi the program is good.
>
>
> Borland Pascal doesn't have a "svga256.bgi", so it would be interesting
> to know which one you use. The one built into VPA is by Ullrich von
> Bassewitz, so if your's is the same model, there's no need to play with
> "/BGI".

I dowload a SVGABG31.ZIP and in this file are a program DEMOVGA.exe and
the follow files
svga16.bgi
twk16.bgi
svga256.bgi
twk256.bgi
svga32k.bgi

the file DEMOVGA.exe working ok with my pc, I deduction the svga256.bgi
is ok.

My sk video are SIS 650, you have the BGI correct ?

Daniele
In the borland package (dir demo) are program DEMOVGA.exe that use the
driver external bgi
>
> Stefan
>
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 10:46:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.vga-planets (More info?)

Hi there,

delQuesto wrote:

Please don't post & mail without reason.

> Stefan Reuther ha scritto:
>> delQuesto wrote:
>>
>>> Using custom BGI driver: svga256/0/1
>>> Graphics initialization failure
>>
>> Why do you want to use that driver? What about "vpa /s"?
>
> When I use vpa /s my vpa.exe is frezen (block) with sk video SIS and sk
> video ATI (other computer)

Okay, sounds like a reason.

>> Otherwise, the syntax is "/BGI:D RIVER,DIRECTORY,MODE", and I doubt you
>> have the driver in a directory ".".
>>
> the driver are in directory VPA.exe and subdir game

Sorry for the typo, I meant "I doubt you have the driver in a directory
"0".".

The syntax is /BGI:D RIVER,DIRECTORY,MODE, so you probably need something
like "/BGI:svga256,.,1". Not sure about the 1, that's the mode number,
and that's something you have to figure out. I guess there's some
documentation with the driver.

> I dowload a SVGABG31.ZIP and in this file are a program DEMOVGA.exe and
> the follow files
> svga16.bgi
> twk16.bgi
> svga256.bgi
> twk256.bgi
> svga32k.bgi

Sounds like the Jordan Hargraphix drivers. The version I have here wants
mode number 2 for 640x480. However, it is dated 1991, so yours may be
newer[1]. The 1991 version does *not* work with VPA (it only implements
BGI 1.0 (from Turbo Pascal 6), VPA needs BGI 2.0 (from Turbo Pascal 7)).


Stefan

--
[1] after searching for a while, I found a file identifying that which I
have as version 2.21, so yours *is* newer.
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 3:22:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.vga-planets (More info?)

Stefan Reuther ha scritto:
> Hi there,
>
> delQuesto wrote:
>
> Please don't post & mail without reason.

Pardon !
>
>
>>Stefan Reuther ha scritto:
>>
>>>delQuesto wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>>Using custom BGI driver: svga256/0/1
>>>>Graphics initialization failure
>>>
>>>Why do you want to use that driver? What about "vpa /s"?
>>
>>When I use vpa /s my vpa.exe is frezen (block) with sk video SIS and sk
>>video ATI (other computer)
>
>
> Okay, sounds like a reason.
:-)
>
>
>>>Otherwise, the syntax is "/BGI:D RIVER,DIRECTORY,MODE", and I doubt you
>>>have the driver in a directory ".".

I tried with "." but nothing :-(
>>
>>the driver are in directory VPA.exe and subdir game
>
>
> Sorry for the typo, I meant "I doubt you have the driver in a directory
> "0".".
>
> The syntax is /BGI:D RIVER,DIRECTORY,MODE, so you probably need something
> like "/BGI:svga256,.,1". Not sure about the 1, that's the mode number,
> and that's something you have to figure out. I guess there's some
> documentation with the driver.
>
>
>>I dowload a SVGABG31.ZIP and in this file are a program DEMOVGA.exe and
>>the follow files
>>svga16.bgi
>>twk16.bgi
>>svga256.bgi
>>twk256.bgi
>>svga32k.bgi
>
>
> Sounds like the Jordan Hargraphix drivers. The version I have here wants
> mode number 2 for 640x480. However, it is dated 1991, so yours may be
> newer[1]. The 1991 version does *not* work with VPA (it only implements
> BGI 1.0 (from Turbo Pascal 6), VPA needs BGI 2.0 (from Turbo Pascal 7)).
The driver is the Jordan Hargraphix and are the version 2.31 Dec 06 1991
this is the list of my Dir Game:

--------------------------------- copy and paste ------------------
Il volume nell'unit… H non ha etichetta.
Numero di serie del volume: 3264-9540

Directory di H:\PLANET-R

04/03/2005 19.46 <DIR> .
04/03/2005 19.46 <DIR> ..
15/08/1995 22.00 0 --------.---
29/09/2002 09.08 17 1-FLEETS.BAT
23/02/2005 21.03 34 1universo.bat
02/12/1998 06.06 64 A-PHOST5.BAT
14/01/2000 11.57 219,001 ADVANCED.HTM
05/11/1992 17.54 360 BEAMSPEC.DAT
05/05/1995 19.17 15,658 BSHOST.EXE
17/03/2004 18.35 688 BSIM.CFG
02/02/1996 21.35 29,697 BSIM.DOC
16/02/1996 08.33 216,062 BSIM.EXE
17/03/2004 18.35 534 BSIMINIT.TMP
31/07/1994 17.24 92,624 BSVCR.EXE
23/12/1995 06.14 8,138 COMPLETE.FRM
05/03/1998 07.09 89 CONFIG.TXT
07/11/1997 23.10 212 CONQ.TXT
17/02/2005 22.03 6,002 CONTROL.DAT
23/12/1995 06.15 441 DESCRIPT.ION
04/05/2004 22.50 3,528 DISTTABL.DAT
03/03/1993 05.01 65,376 DPMI16BI.OVL
03/03/1993 05.01 36,724 DPMIINST.EXE
03/03/1993 05.01 22,324 DPMILOAD.EXE
25/04/2002 21.32 93,968 dpmisys.zip
23/08/1992 19.38 598 ENGSPEC.DAT
30/01/2003 17.35 1,825 EVENTI.TXT
23/12/1995 06.14 7,457 FEATURES
27/11/2001 18.58 506 FEDERAL.TXT
15/07/1998 16.29 4,473 FEVAL.TXT
13/05/2004 16.54 340 FIZZ.BIN
17/09/1994 18.29 54,973 FLEETS.EXE
25/11/2001 07.55 471 GANDALF
28/01/1993 18.20 6,300 HULLSPEC.DAT
15/01/2000 20.47 38,546 IN2
07/03/1999 08.20 24,469 INCEPT.DOC
07/03/1999 08.20 44,751 INCEPT.EXE
07/03/1999 08.20 2,131 INCEPT.INI
07/03/1999 08.20 2,213 INCEPTC.DOC
07/03/1999 08.20 11,702 INCEPTC.EXE
15/04/2004 20.51 0 INIT.TMP
31/05/1993 11.01 45,242 MAKETURN.EXE
16/02/2003 22.50 711 MISSION.INI
26/03/1993 11.07 39,420 NAMERACE.EXE
18/09/1997 10.57 7,543 PARTITE.TXT
23/02/2005 21.08 9 PATH.DAT
25/12/1992 14.21 10,000 PLANET.NM
21/04/1995 12.58 298,178 PLANETS.EXE
18/03/1993 07.04 41,502 PLNHELP.DAT
18/11/2000 05.25 337 PREPARA.BAT
23/12/1997 21.33 1,496 PREPARA2.BAT
27/11/2001 19.01 453 PRIVATER.TXT
20/05/2002 17.59 157,476 PROVA.LOG
30/11/1998 17.20 26,299 PVCR.DOC
19/11/1998 05.03 141,040 PVCR.EXE
24/12/1998 13.50 0 PVCR.LOG
17/03/1993 19.25 682 RACE.NM
23/12/1995 06.24 836,087 RESOURCE.PLN
03/03/1993 05.01 108,846 RTM.EXE
13/04/1999 19.22 1,537 SENDPLAY.CFG
15/12/1997 03.22 583 SENDPLAY.DOC
15/12/1997 03.22 27,936 SENDPLAY.EXE
28/06/1993 19.35 109,164 SHEET.EXE
26/03/1993 11.08 64,286 SHIPS.EXE
23/08/1992 19.38 1,911 SWEEP.BAT
16/10/1993 15.44 3,072 TECH.MOF
11/05/2000 11.48 90,866 TEJUPITE.TXT
12/04/2005 20.22 5,337 TEMP.PLN
02/05/2005 18.14 44 TEMPLOCK.DAT
15/09/1992 11.42 470 TORPSPEC.DAT
12/11/2002 06.48 176 TRNList.adf
29/11/1992 22.22 940 TRUEHULL.DAT
28/03/1993 09.57 41,160 UNPACK.EXE
07/03/1999 08.20 398,416 VBRUN300.DLL
30/11/1998 17.20 141,040 VCR.EXE
13/05/2004 16.33 8 VCRINIT.TMP
31/03/1993 17.07 92,624 VCROLD.EXE
25/02/2003 20.21 457,728 VPA-old.EXE
01/03/1996 17.49 2,237 VPA.DOC
11/04/2005 21.00 641,024 VPA.EXE
11/04/2005 21.00 22,083 VPA.HLP
03/07/2004 08.50 1,400 VPA.INI
11/12/2004 16.16 12,342 VPA.MSG
23/12/1995 06.15 241,452 VPA.OVR
07/01/2005 09.11 2,855 VPA.PIF
11/06/2004 22.13 220 VPACLR1.INI
24/08/2004 11.28 220 VPACLR10.INI
08/04/2004 15.31 220 VPACLR11.INI
23/02/2005 16.33 220 VPACLR2.INI
04/09/2004 15.33 220 VPACLR5.INI
10/04/2004 12.46 220 VPACLR7.INI
25/10/1996 16.18 12,238 VPAMSG.OLD
20/04/1998 22.01 7,278 VPATRUNC.EXE
06/01/2000 16.06 238,623 VPLUSIT.HTM
21/10/1996 14.18 132,320 VPMKTRN.EXE
21/10/1996 14.18 119,488 VPUNPACK.EXE
19/01/1994 10.25 3,000 XYPLAN.DAT
04/03/2005 19.46 <DIR> RISATA
04/03/2005 19.46 <DIR> RED
08/03/2005 21.56 <DIR> BIGGERBO
08/03/2005 21.56 <DIR> GHOSTWAL
08/03/2005 21.56 <DIR> IDENTITY
08/03/2005 21.56 <DIR> Ironforg
08/03/2005 21.57 <DIR> OUTERSPA
08/03/2005 21.57 <DIR> Universi
14/04/2005 09.50 220 VPACLR4.INI
18/04/2005 17.35 <DIR> EXAMPLES
06/12/1991 18.19 5,372 SVGA256.BGI
06/12/1991 18.24 4,143 TWK256.BGI
03/05/2005 11.15 114 lolo.txt
18/02/1992 03.00 5,554 EGAVGA.BGI
99 File 5,617,978 byte
11 Directory 314,228,736 byte disponibili

------------------ end paste ----------------------------

In the dir "h:\planet-r"
I run the vpa with this option:
"vpa 4 outerspa /bgi:svga256,.,1"

this is the output

------------------ copy and paste ----------------

-= VGA Planets Assistant 3.62c (c) 1993-98 Alex V. Ivlev, 2002-05 VPA
Team =-
==============================================================================

Running with 15340K of free memory

Registered version of VGA Planets 3.0 found
Reading VPA.INI...
Reading outerspa\VPACLR4.INI...
Loading PLANETS data...
Fascist data files found
Current turn is 47 [host date: 04-30-2005 01:24:00]
Reading VPA database file outerspa\VPA4.DB...
Checking for PHOST...
Reading outerspa\HCONFIG.INI...
Reading outerspa\RACES.INI...
Reading starmap...
Reading game data...
Reading outerspa\UTIL4.DAT...
Using custom BGI driver: svga256/./1
Graphics initialization failure

----------- end paste ----------------------

Sorry for the length

Daniele
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 11:38:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.vga-planets (More info?)

Daniele De Nigris wrote:
> Stefan Reuther ha scritto:
>> Sounds like the Jordan Hargraphix drivers. The version I have here wants
>> mode number 2 for 640x480. However, it is dated 1991, so yours may be
>> newer[1]. The 1991 version does *not* work with VPA (it only implements
>> BGI 1.0 (from Turbo Pascal 6), VPA needs BGI 2.0 (from Turbo Pascal 7)).
>
> The driver is the Jordan Hargraphix and are the version 2.31 Dec 06 1991
> this is the list of my Dir Game:

Then it will not work. Borland Pascal 7.0's release date is April 1992;
it's unlikely that BGI 2.0 drivers were out before that date. For a
final check, open the .bgi in a hex editor (or in a normal editor, if
you don't have a hex editor). If it starts with the letters 'pk' (BGI
1.0 signature), it will not work. It must start with 'FBGD' (BGI 2.0
signature).

So I think your last chance would be to try VPAMM, which is based on a
completely different graphics kernel (no BGI).

If that still does not work, try VPA inside <http://dosbox.sf.net/&gt;.
Beware, it's slooooooow.

Apart from that: why do you want to use "vpa /s"? You will not get more
colors or higher resolution this way. The only thing which you can get
with "vpa /s" is higher refresh rates (because most graphics cards can
configure the refresh rate for 640x480x256, while the refresh rate for
640x480x16 is fixed to 60 Hertz by definition). But - on a notebook with
an LCD this should not matter at all.


Stefan
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 11:42:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.vga-planets (More info?)

Daniele De Nigris wrote:
> In the dir "h:\planet-r"
> I run the vpa with this option:
> "vpa 4 outerspa /bgi:svga256,.,1"

The syntax is correct, although "/bgi:svga256,,1" should do the same.
This means that the driver you've got does not work with your video
card, at least not in mode 1.

I implemented this feature because a friend of mine would only get
scrambled characters when running vpa on his new pc. I found a
third-party BGI-driver somewhere on the net that did work for him. I'll
try to find it again and let you know when I do.

Christian

P.S.: See you in "Outer Space"... ;-)
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 11:48:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.vga-planets (More info?)

Christian Graefe wrote:
> I found a
> third-party BGI-driver somewhere on the net that did work for him. I'll
> try to find it again and let you know when I do.

You might want to try the one included in this archive:
http://www.tank-cleaning.demon.nl/pasfiles/svga.zip

Mode 5 works fine for me, i.e. say "vpa 4 gamedir /BGI:svga,,5".

Christian
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 8:52:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.vga-planets (More info?)

Christian Graefe ha scritto:
> Christian Graefe wrote:
>
>> I found a third-party BGI-driver somewhere on the net that did work
>> for him. I'll try to find it again and let you know when I do.
>
>
> You might want to try the one included in this archive:
> http://www.tank-cleaning.demon.nl/pasfiles/svga.zip
>
> Mode 5 works fine for me, i.e. say "vpa 4 gamedir /BGI:svga,,5".
>
> Christian
Sorry I tried whith many bgi, but my notebook accepted only resolution
640x480, while (mentre) I need resolution 640x400.
My notebook cut the bottom rate ov screen and I see only 3/4 the screen.
I tried (provato) whith demo of bgi and a best screen is 640x400.

Thank for help, I pass all in usb pen and reboot with usb first (usb pen
whether (if, come se) to be a little Hard disk in ms-dos).
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 11:30:55 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.vga-planets (More info?)

delQuesto wrote:
> Sorry I tried whith many bgi, but my notebook accepted only resolution
> 640x480, while (mentre) I need resolution 640x400.

VPA only does 640x480.

If you set a lower resolution, the screen will be truncated. If you set
a higher one, VPA will ignore the excess, and maybe draw garbage on it.
So you should use 640x480.

> My notebook cut the bottom rate ov screen and I see only 3/4 the screen.
> I tried (provato) whith demo of bgi and a best screen is 640x400.

What does "better" mean here?


Stefan
!