New System Trouble POSTing

kj1060

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2010
I finally got my new CPU today and finished building my computer. When I attempted to power up the fans turned on, but my monitor never changed.

Here are my specs:

Antec P183
Antec CP-850
Asus P8P67 Deluxe Motherboard
Intel 2500K CPU
G.Skill 2x4GB 1600 RAM
MSI GTX 460 VGA
G.Skill Pheonix Pro 120GB SSD
Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB
HP DVD-RW
CoolIt Eco
Thermaltake ISGC-12 Fans
D-Link Wireless Card PCI Slot

Here is a video of me trying to power it on:
http://s470.photobucket.com/albums/rr69/kj1060A/?action=view&current=MVI_5685.mp4

Edit: Sorry trying to upload now.

Solution
First thing you should do is work through our standard checklist. Just follow the link in my signature. This troubleshooting guide was designed to address the most common reasons for "no boot" and/or "no display" concerns.

Good luck.

Edit: Apparently my signature stopped working... click here
First thing you should do is work through our standard checklist. Just follow the link in my signature. This troubleshooting guide was designed to address the most common reasons for "no boot" and/or "no display" concerns.

Good luck.

Edit: Apparently my signature stopped working... click here

Solution

kj1060

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2010

I checked everything and still no success I talked with a friend and he thinks the board is DOA.

Hmm... Well a DOA mobo isn't as uncommon as you might think, but before you seek an RMA, have you tried breadboarding? If you haven't, go back to the troubleshooting guide and find the link to jsc's breadboarding guide.

If that fails, then get an RMA.

kj1060

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2010
Thanks everyone for the responses. Luckily I have been able to get it to work. The only problems that I am running into at this point in time is the Power button on the case won't work if I connect the case HD Led and the Restart Button to the prongs. I never use the Reset Button and the HD Led is behind the door, so until I need to do so I should be good to go. I will keep you guys posted if anything else happens.

Yeah I breadboarded again this morning got a post and then slowly added parts. I decided to leave out the wireless card for now maybe if I need it I will add it again.

Once again thanks for the help guys. :)

kj1060

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2010
So today when I started my computer I attempted to turn it on. It didn't turn on the first time then it reset and started again. It ran for about 30 seconds without posting. I pressed the power button on the motherboard to turn it off. Then I pressed the case power button on and it started and posted and everything was just great. I tested it a few time just powering down and letting it sit for a moment or two then trying to power up and the events above happened again. I am confused as to why this is doing this, any idea?

Sounds like a bad PSU. Get a digital multimeter and test the P1 connector while the computer is turned on. Put the black lead into the back of any black wire. Put the red into the back of the following colors:

Orange should be +3.3 V
Red should be +5 V
Yellow should be +12 v
Purple should be +5 V (standby)
Blue should be -12 V

There can be ~+/- 10% on these values, depending on the quality of the multimeter.

kj1060

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2010
I put in a new Power Supply and it still won't post on the press of the power button. It is still the same press power button, computer powers on for 15 seconds stops. Starts up again, nothing happens, Turn off by holding a power button. Press power button again, starts up fine. I have also had windows freeze or just shut down recently, not sure why even after going through the logs.

I was following this post on troubleshooting a bad power button: http://forums.cnet.com/7723-6122_102-130540.html

kj1060

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2010
I think I figured it out and I feel like an idiot for not thinking of it sooner, but I had the TPU and EPU switch in the disabled and it kept trying to find the over clocking which I have not done yet. So so far everything seems to be fine. If I have any other troubles I will ask. Thank you for all your help especially T_T.