What power supply should i buy?

This One Time

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2010
Which power supply should i buy?

Im pretty sure my power suppply has gone bad. My hard drive keeps spinning down then the computer freezes. Cant even get windows to fully load.

Im planning on upgrading my computer to a i7 2600k build within a year and want a power supply that can carry over. I will still use my GTX 460 in the new build and may buy a second for SLI. I wont be buying any additional hard drives though i may replace my main drive with a WD Black.

Current Build

CPU
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor BX80557E6600
ZEROtherm CF900 92mm CPU Cooler

Mother Board
Asus P5B Deluxe LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard

RAM
OCZ Platinum Revision 2 4GB (4 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2P800R22GK

Graphics Card
EVGA 01G-P3-1371-AR GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) FPB EE 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Case
APEVIA X-Infinity ATXB6KLW-BK/420 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Power Supply
Antec NeoPower 550 550W ATX12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply

Hard Drives
1 x Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
2 x Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EADS 1TB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

This One Time

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2010
Not particularly. The way I look at it is, its required to make the computer run so I have to spend whatever it costs.

However i am cheap. So I dont want to spend a huge amount of money for extra capacity ill never use. I would like it to be reliable.

Is your Antec NeoPower 550 already beyond its 5 year warranty period?

ram1009

Distinguished
Buy the biggest QUALITY PSU you can afford. What you call "extra capacity" is an insurance policy, and a cheap one at that. PSUs are the most overlooked (and overworked) part of nearly all computers. Running a PSU at or near capacity will eventually cause premature failure and may cause any number of undiagnosable problems along the way. It's money well spent, not wasted. Unfortunately, you'll never be able to thank me for the problems you never had. :)

This One Time

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2010
I starting to wonder if it really is my PSU. Before i bought a new one i unplugged the cd/dvd drive and the 2 green drives. But the main hard drive was still spinning down.

I then disconnected the main drive and connected it to one of the other non used plugs in the same PSU. But that didnt fix the problem either.

Im thinking it really is just a bad hardrive.

I would suspect a failing hard disk drive also.

If your power supply was at fault then the other hard disk drives and optical drive would also be affected similarly.