Sign in with
Your question

At times, pc will not post....

Last response: in Systems
January 12, 2011 8:19:42 PM

Alright here is my problem. I shut Windows down like you normally would. Then a few minutes, hours etc. later, when I click the power button, the fans turn on but the display stays blank. Here is the weird part, the fix is to power down with "the button" and then turn it back on, that normally does it and it posts normally and loads up. It seems to be very random. I built this system a month back, and it has been doing this for the past week or so. Here are my specs

Windows 64 bit.
AMD Athlon II x4 2.6ghz 620
Biostar TA790XE
XFX Radeon 5770
G.Skill 2GBx2
Rosewill RD450-2SB
Corsair F60 (Force series) 60GB (Ahci mode)
WD Caviar Blue 320GB

That's it for the specs. What could be the problem? I have looked all over and read a bunch, but none of it happens like this. Everything seems to be fine when on. It plays Crysis etc. great, the temps are good, but once I shut it off, I need to "Kick the door the right way to open" if you know what I mean. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

More about : times post

January 12, 2011 9:32:41 PM

The 5770 alone recommends a 500w PSU (as a minimum). Have you tried switching out the PSU?
January 12, 2011 11:39:16 PM

That's pretty weird. Sometimes you just have to live with certain 'moods' computers can get, and there may be no real fix. As long as it doesn't really interfere with the performance, the best thing to do it just leave it alone.
However
comma
that PSU is a little on the weak side. You may want to upgrade that. A struggling PSU is never a good thing.
Related resources
January 13, 2011 6:56:04 AM

Heh, how that fact went by me unnoticed, I do not know. I remember checking to see the power requirements of the video card. Guess I messed up somewhere.

In terms of the PSU, how much of a problem is it that I'm running 50w less than the recommended? Aside from the mentioned problem, everything is fine. The video card performs well. Minecraft crashes the video driver from time to time but that's for a different reason all together.

I get around 70fps in Battlefield Bad Company 2 and better frame rates in CoD Black Ops. As I've said ,Crysis runs great without any problems. Do I risk breaking the card with a lower rated PSU or is it just going to underperform?

I haven't tried switching the PSU out because frankly right now it's not worth it for me, I am currently away from home and in Belarus and computer parts are much more expensive here so I'd rather not buy something unless I really had to. Now that I think about it, I failed to mention that about a week or two back, I installed a Gembird PCI network card.... Could that be the culprit?
a b B Homebuilt system
January 13, 2011 7:04:12 AM

low end motherboard and psu - first things to look at

ram also - manually force that ram to 1 or 2 specs down from max (eg 1600 -> 1333 or 1066) and manually set the voltage up +0.1v, timing manual and slack etc
January 13, 2011 7:28:26 AM

Well the ram isn't high end ram by todays standards. It's DDR2-800
a c 122 B Homebuilt system
January 13, 2011 11:58:41 AM

My guess is also the PSU. A 5770 only needs about 7 - 8 amps. It's a pretty efficient card. The reason they recommend a 500 watt PSU is to allow for all the junk PSU's out there. Some thing like the now discontinued :(  Corsair 400CX with its 30 amp 12 volt rail would power your system with no trouble.

The only way the network card would be at fault would be it it pulled just enough power to overload the PSU and that is not likely. Speaking of network cards, why do you need a second ethernet adapter in your system?
January 13, 2011 4:13:05 PM

jsc said:
The only way the network card would be at fault would be it it pulled just enough power to overload the PSU and that is not likely. Speaking of network cards, why do you need a second ethernet adapter in your system?
For twice the speed, of course. You haven't heard of dual cored ethernet? I think there's going to be a quad core coming out soon, but you need to have the PCI slots available of course, for the three additional LAN cards...
a b B Homebuilt system
January 13, 2011 4:50:53 PM

Jsc I have used multiple ethernet cards when I had a computer that was connected to multiple indepedent networks that did not talk to each other. It's a pain in the ass because you would have to swap connections to actually tlak to the network most of the time but it would be rare to need more than 1.
!