Posting issues with asus crosshair formula v and fx 8120 processor

JamesSutton

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011
Hello, no post with 2 different boards and 2 cpus.
Author: James Sutton
Date: 2011-12-12 21:19:26

While installing a beta bios for Asus Crosshair IV extreme, my computer went dead, with a loud click. Computer had been acting up the previous two weeks, dropping LAN and not reading all HDs. So I thought I'd fried my cpu, since I'd some some mild overclocking. I checked my power supply, crossing green with black, and it metered out okay. I wanted to upgrade anyway, so I installed a new board and cpu, crosshair V with 8-core 3.1ghz FX 8129 processor & fan. Board still won't post, though board lights up. Power light on PS goes green for two seconds, then red & cuts out. All wires are properly connected--Power supply, HD, video cards. I switched video cards (two AMD 8160) and swapped memory in and out, but no change. No beeps. On/off switch on Coolmaster case tested out okay, and board has a start switch anyway, but no response, even though it lights. Shotgunning didn't help. What does a 68-year-old geezer do now? Is it the power supply cutting out when under load? Some strut shorting out the boards?

-----

Why does the young man install a beta BIOS???
It is logical to end up in the soup with the Mobo floating somewhere there too.
Especially since the Processor being used is also New.....
And. err....... that processor that you have mentioned.... the FX-8129, isn't mentioned in the CPU Support list of the Mobo....
I actually haven't been able to locate the processor anywhere except for eBay....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-FX-8129-3-1Ghz-8Gb-DDR3-NEW-CUSTOM-Barebone-PC-/110777488649

JamesSutton

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011
It was the Power Supply. It was cutting out intermittently, so it tested okay when it wasn't. Evidently, only the main power supply line to the board went out; the molex to the board was still okay, so the board lit. (The beta was necessary to upgrade the Croasshair IV so it would operate the FX-8129; I'd originally planned to put the FX-8129 on the Crosshair IV.) When I went to the Crosshair V, the new board lit, but no post. Mystery solved. FX-8129 came from Newegg. For once, the new core is properly supported! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Patratacus

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012
Just want to add to this thread in case someone else had the same problem I did. For a while my ASUS CrosshairV boots up but won't post. I read several threads and still couldn't figure out why. I read here that it could be a bad power connector so I jiggle the main connector. All of sudden the motherboard started the posting process. For a couple days this was the only way to get the post screen to show up. Eventually I got sick of doing this and thought that there must be something defective with the board. I looked at the board again and saw that there was one missing screw for anchoring the motherboard to the case. I couldn't put a screw there because I didn't have the post to line up to that hole. I then noticed that my case lets me rearrange the support screw anywhere to fit the motherboard. I moved the support screw to that missing hole and then screw the board in.

Now the motherboard starts up and goes to post reliably. So it was all because I missed one anchoring screw. The only theory I have is that it needs that for proper grounding near the power supply connector.

cemerian

Honorable
Jul 29, 2013

no that happened because you prboably had that thing under your board in some other place the whole time and it shourt circiuted the board not allowing you to boot