AMD 1100 over 965?

pjmoses

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011
Alright everyone, did I screw up or what. I just tried to sell my AMD Phenom 965 for $110 and already bought a 6 core T1100, Did I make a mistake? Is there going to be that much difference in graphics for games? I have 2 Sapphire HD 5770 Crossfired and a M4A88TD-EVO UBB3.0 Mobo to put it in. I am looking for speed. is this new CPU going to speed it up a lot? If not, I will change a bunch of selling on Ebay and Newegg. So I need to know fast. Did I make the right decision? Is 6 cores going to be able to overclock well and make a difference in new and future games? I have about 15 minutes to change my order.

Solution

The 1100 is slower in gaming than the 965. If you overclocked the 1100 another 100mhz to the same speed as the...

The 1100 is slower in gaming than the 965. If you overclocked the 1100 another 100mhz to the same speed as the 965, they would be about the same so it was not a smart move.

Games don't take advantage of 6 cores, very few even use 4. This is why a fast dual core usually beats out a slower quad core in gaming.

It would be a worthless upgrade unless you do heavy video encoding and such.

Solution
In games, so long as you have 2-4 cores, the individual core performance is most important. 6 cores are good for multithreaded apps, not games.

You would have been better served by getting a sandy bridge 2500K cpu instead; they are perhaps 20% faster on a clock for clock basis, and can overclock higher.

pjmoses

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011
I will just refuse the order when it gets here. I have been reading way too much of Toms reviews and thought for a second I could really boost my machine. It took me a total of 20 minutes to realize I was making a mistake, but the said it was shipped in that amout of time, Go figure.

pjmoses

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011
Thanks everyone, just saved me over $130 in getting the 6 core over the 965 I have. Tom's has tought me alot with all you all helping and I really thank you for it. My HD 5770 is a whopper that I got info from Tom's instead of selling one and trying another. I am in your dept.

ferelden

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
yea for a long while i was like you, always looking for better performance from my 965. i pushed it to like 4.2 ghz and even oc'd northbridge, ram, vid card, until i finally realized i just had to switch to intel to get better processing power. once i got a sandy i5-2500k it was night and day difference, the speed of everything and the performance in gaming are just unbelievable now.

i hawked my 965 for $120 on ebay, so only paid about $100 for the i5, ebayed amd mobo for another $60, and got a p67 mobo for $130, so only paid $70, $170 in total not bad considering i was taking a long hard look at the 6 core 1100t as well.

pjmoses

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011

Man, I have been down the Intel road for 15 years and just over the past 2 years notice that when it comes to overclocking and NB, if you have a budget, you can't go wrong with AMD. I would love and I7 and mobo to support it with two X16 PCIe's, but that was not my intention to began with. I was looking to get out under $650 - which turned easily into $850 - but for the money I think AMD has Intel stoked. My Mid-tower barely fits my Noctua NH-D14 in it for the 965 I have. But money was an objsect that I made for personal reasons. But I have the graphics to play anything on the market and should have for the next 3 to 4 years. That is all I want. I am one of the few everyone looks down on because I have to play with a game pad. Keyboard and mouse does not work with my coradination. YEA rag me for it but it is what it is. I like the joy sticks in flight sim and the game pad in FPS. Old school. But with the sandy bridge I may have to go back with Intel on the next one. Thanks for the info, man. I am just sturborn.

Dude I don't know what video card you have but a i5-2500K is not going to push anymore fps than a 965BE at 4.2ghz with the same video card, unless there are two or more high end cards because you would be gpu limited, not cpu limited.

ferelden

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010

i know what you are saying, that was my logic for the longest time, that is why i waited quite a while to abandon it for an intel. but reality is the cpu really did bottleneck fps.

i have a gtx 570 @ 1080p and with the 965BE it was only pushing like 30-40 FPS at ultra settings in starcraft 2 4v4 online when a lot of units were on screen. but with i5-2500k it is at 60 with vsync and doesnt drop. same with shogun 2, large scale battles at ultra settings the 965 would drop to 20-30 but now with the i5 it is at 50-60 even when i scroll around the map really fast which is a must. even dragon age 1 with 4x AA and all ultra settings my 965 would get a bit laggy like 30-40 moving around large cities but with i5 it is butter.

i know that 30-40 is nothing to cry about, but i wanted overkill, and that is what i got for a great price, couldnt be happier.

Saving money is good --- but I don't think the difference between the 1100T (with Turbo disabled) would be all that much greater (or lessor) than a PhII quad, and the x6 Thuban may well OC a bit higher and run a touch cooler. And the encoding modeling thing if that is of interest.

The issue is the phenom-ena (ha ha) called 'core-hopping' which is probably more related to the Windows scheduler.

What you need to consider is the motherboard!

ASUS First to Provide AM3+ CPU Ready Solution for Current AM3 and Future AM3+ Motherboards

(if you wish to have future Bulldozer Zambezi capability)

pjmoses

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011
I am hoping that the Bulldozier will fit my ASUS mobo. I am going to refuse the shipment of the T1100 today from Newegg becausae you guys say it is not worth the difference. But I get pretty high frame rates with my Crossfired HD 5770's. I was thinking the one thing keeping it from going balistic is the 965 and know now the T1100 will not help in that department.