Sign in with
Your question

Upgrade my graphics card?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 13, 2010 9:38:30 AM

Hi,

I've got a dell machine running win xp pro. I intend to upgrade to win7 ultimate as i absolutely love it on my laptop. Running the upgrade advisor tells me that my graphics card is not compatible and i need to upgrade it.

Could any1 recommend me a graphics card that would just about do the job plz?! This is coz i dont play games nor do i run any graphics hungry softwares like matlab/photoshop. The specs of my pc are :

Processor
2.80 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
8 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
Not hyper-threaded

Main Circuit Board
Board: Dell Computer Corp. 0TC666
Serial Number: ..CN708215950005.
Bus Clock: 800 megahertz
BIOS: Dell Computer Corporation A01 01/03/2006

Memory
2046 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM_1' has 1024 MB
Slot 'DIMM_2' has 1024 MB

Display

Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller [Display adapter]
DELL E156FP [Monitor] (14.9"vis, s/n DC36359O0A3L, September 2005)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: ASAP tbh.

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: General usage, excluding gaming (but i do like to play flash games once in a while lol).

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller. Not sure about power supply.

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: Check above plz

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS:Any trusted british website such as ebuyer/amazon etc.

PARTS PREFERENCES: No idea. ATI or Nvidea?

OVERCLOCKING: Nope.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1024x768

Budget : As cheap as possible. Just need a gpu that does the job. i.e. allows me to run win7.

Thanks!!

More about : upgrade graphics card

November 13, 2010 11:19:08 AM

Check out the Radeon 4650 You get a lot of power for only $70.
Otherwise google "wiki Nvidia graphics compare" and "wiki ATI graphics compare"
Compare the latest models out now.
You could make do with a 64-bit memory card, but I would recommend the cheapest 128-bit memory card.
Related resources
November 13, 2010 11:33:42 AM

You can find an (ATI Radeon x800 265mb) for around 20$ on eBAY
But first you have to make sure that your board has a VGA slot and whether it is an AGP or a PCIE.
a b U Graphics card
November 13, 2010 12:45:40 PM

To be fair, you CPU will bottleneck pretty much anything these days. The 8400GS is a good choice for low profile low power, as is the GT220. You ought to get one of these cards for HD videos or Hardware acceleration for HTML5 and Flash 10.1, you'll notice a difference.
!