Dell gx280 wireless network switch

Hello,
I've just installed a wireless usb adaptor on my dell gx280 windows xp sp2 desktop, but no wireless networks are showing up. Is there a wireless switch on the hardware that I need to set on?

Sarah H
13 answers Last reply
More about dell gx280 wireless network switch
  1. Do you have a router? What model is it?
    Or are you in a hotspot?
  2. assuming you have a wireless router in your place and wireless adapter in your laptop best suggestion is Fn+F2 for dell..go to network connections inside control panel(in classic view) ..you must see local area connection and/or wireless network connections..right click on the wireless network connection icon select view available wireless networks...if it doesn't have the networks listed there 2 possibilities
    NO wireless connections were found would be general message below it
    no wireless networks were found in range
    it might either read wireless capability is turned of implying wifi switch is off..
    or you might be using another software to connect..meaning some other software like dell wireless card utility or ur adapter's software might be active using which u must scan and connect wireless....
  3. mhelm1 said:
    Do you have a router? What model is it?
    Or are you in a hotspot?

    yes I have a netgear wireless g router
  4. optimusprime619 said:
    assuming you have a wireless router in your place and wireless adapter in your laptop best suggestion is Fn+F2 for dell..go to network connections inside control panel(in classic view) ..you must see local area connection and/or wireless network connections..right click on the wireless network connection icon select view available wireless networks...if it doesn't have the networks listed there 2 possibilities
    NO wireless connections were found would be general message below it
    no wireless networks were found in range
    it might either read wireless capability is turned of implying wifi switch is off..
    or you might be using another software to connect..meaning some other software like dell wireless card utility or ur adapter's software might be active using which u must scan and connect wireless....


    I just get 'No wireless networks were found in range. Make sure the wireless switch on your computer is on'. It's a desktop pc . Can connect ok using a laptop so I know there's no problem with the router.
  5. Which adapter are you using ?
  6. mhelm1 said:
    Which adapter are you using ?

    It's a dynamode 802.11N.
  7. I could not find that number on the web site.
    I recommend that you look thru the site for the model number of your adapter and download the latest driver and install.
    Click below for web site:
    http://dynamode-drivers.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=section&id=6&Itemid=54
  8. mhelm1 said:
    I could not find that number on the web site.
    I recommend that you look thru the site for the model number of your adapter and download the latest driver and install.
    Click below for web site:
    http://dynamode-drivers.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=section&id=6&Itemid=54


    Thanks. I tried that and still can't see any networks. (Its WL-700N-M). It's an old work pc so maybe there is some restriction that's blocking access. It did have vpn client installed but I've uninstalled it. Also restored the windows firewall defaults. Think I may have to get a new pc!
  9. Are you using the Windows program or the adapter software to access the Router.?
    Only one will work, but try both. Disable the firewall as a test. Try the wireless network wizard, what does it report. The adapter should see a list of networks, if it connects or not is another issue. You may also want to upgrade from SP2 to the latest as well.
  10. I've tried both, and disabling the firewall. The network list is just not showing up at all.
  11. Try another adapter is all I can think of.
  12. mhelm1 said:
    Try another adapter is all I can think of.

    Yes I think you're probably right. Thanks for your help anyway!
  13. Just to say - I finally got the thing working by moving the router closer to the pc. It has to be within about 10 feet to pick up the signal. As we were connecting from much further away with other pcs ( a windows laptop and a mac pro) it hadn't occurred to me that this might be the problem!
Ask a new question

Read More

Configuration Wireless Wireless Network Switch Dell Wireless Networking